Winter Surfing Rituals

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Jan 10, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    You got it dialed in. I'm only a few blocks away from the beach so I just bolt home to the shower. The inside shower because the waters shut off to the outside one so the pipes don't freeze.
    Post up some of the yoga pants shots when you can though

dingdong likes this.
  2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Hot chocolate and a Cornish pasty straight after session. Hot choc ideally has a tot of dark rum in it.

Sausage rolls will suffice if pasty is unavailable.

Then straight to the pub to sit next to the fire.

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    In the states strippers wear ‘pastys’ to cover their nipples. Something is getting lost in the translation OR maybe not. I go to the local coffee shop for fresh baked scones.

4. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Kind of ironic that the Brits going for the pasties and the titty bar thing and the Yank is going for the scones. WTF??

DJR, pefa, Dawnpatrol and 2 others like this.
  5. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Yeah. You don't know how good you have it "up" there. My local coffee shop is Wawa.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Is anyone good on photoshop? I've got a fantastic image in my mind right now :)

I'm guessing they let them cool a little rather than using them straight from the oven?

7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    As an aside, why are strippers covering their nipples? Or anything else for that matter? I am confused...

DJR, Dawnpatrol and PeakMaster like this.
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Probably dating myself. There was a day when you couldn’t show those parts. Those days are gone.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Yep, this. I used to also do the same with a dry sweatshirt once I peeled down to the waist, though it can be tricky keeping your shirt from touching your suit so it stays dry.

Some others:
    • Turn on your car and blast the heat as soon as you get back to it. By the time you're done changing and ready to leave, your car will be toasty and warm. Caution: Just be sure to crack your window enough so that you can reach in just in case you accidentally lock yourself out.
    • Think outside the box when it comes to where you're changing. On winter days with howling offshores, any spot that blocks the wind completely can be better than changing at your car. Especially since the wind always goes under your car and straight up your changing poncho. We used to get changed on the boardwalk because all the buildings block the brunt of the wind.

10. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    • Boards on the car and strapped down the night before to minimize the chance that I just won't go because it's too big a pain in the ass and too damn cold. All gear that doesn't go next to the skin is already stowed inside.

• I'm all for the suit half-on in the house technique. Makes it really tough to turn down any decent wave out there because I feel like a triple-loser if I go home with a dry suit on.

• Lightest possible suit/gloves/boots that won't leave you shivering. I can usually get through the coldest East Coast sessions in a 4/3 drylock with an extra mm at the core from my hood/vest combo. Moving up to the 5/4 feels really clunky. Same goes for the difference between R4 and R5 boots and gloves. Every extra millimeter of rubber leads to more fatigue, especially when sessions are less frequent and waves tend to be bigger and more powerful.

• Once you're back from the session, start the car. Crank the heat once the coolant gets warm.

• Board gets strapped back on the car before any changing. Last thing I want is the damn thing blowing around while I'm struggling to get my elbow out of the suit.

• I always thought changing robes were ridiculous, but somebody who thought the same sold me a nice FCS one for $20 and I've been psyched on it ever since. Blocks a lot of wind. Soaks up the water on your skin that would get extra-freezing in the wind/cold. Keeps you from revealing sensitive visual information while fumbling with frozen fingers. Hood keeps the head warm. I barely use my towels anymore.

• All clothes/jackets/gloves/hats that I'm gonna put on are arranged so that I can easily reach them from the car door, and they're stacked in the order in which they're gonna go on. All time outside the car must be minimized, especially after you're wet.

• On super cold days, I'll wear the suit home. I've got a low stool in the shower so I can sit and peel all the gear off. I take a bucket into the shower with me so I can rinse stuff without sand getting everywhere.

SeniorGrom likes this.