Winter Surfing Rituals

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Yeah this year I've started putting my wetsuit on as soon as I get out of bed for those early morning sessions. Pull it up to my waist, grab the board and coffee and out the door. Way more efficient than sitting for 5-10min in the parking lot trying to convince myself to get out of the car and get naked in the cold. When I'm done surfing I drive home wrapped in a towel and get directly into the shower, wetsuit and all. The only thing I worry about is breaking down/getting pulled over. Hasn't been an issue yet.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm a total wuss for writing about San Diego cold. Though it has been getting into the 30s lately in the early morning hours.

2. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Forgot to include that if rinsing down with hot water it is very helpful to stand in a bin to capture that water to keep your feet warm & rinse your suit in. I use a concrete mixing tub I found on the side of the road - works great & doesn’t have high sidewalls to trip you up.

As far as ear drying, I use a “dryears” dryer on the bad ear (hole in my eardrum) and 4-5 drops of homemade 1:1 vinegar & isopropyl alcohol in the good ear. I don’t recommend doing either while rushing down the road to get to work, as both can make you kinda dizzy for a spell (or so I’ve heard)...

zippy and houseofsuffering like this.
  3. ParSurf

ParSurf Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    I just freeze my ass off

longhairhippie, davey and miscreant like this.
  4. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Active Member

May 16, 2013
    once ive peeled off the hood of my 5/4 and gotten my head through the chest zip, I quickly towel dry my hair and put on a warm wool hat. Makes a difference

5. ParSurf

ParSurf Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    Ew ew ew! Also if you use an old pos leash in doh surf breaking waaaay outside by the time you make the swim in you will not be cold or worried about being cold.

6. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a good idea that I have to try.

I use a cooler to hold jugs of hot water (use almond milk jugs as they hold up better than regular milk jugs). Put the jugs of hot water in the cooler, add wetsuit, boots and gloves so they are warm when I put them on. After putting on the suit, I put jeans and sweatshirt top in the cooler so they are warm to put back on post surf.

zippy and WhiteRussian like this.
  7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Big secret is, the actual surfing part isn’t all that painful usually. Today’s equipment is pretty good. Sessions tend to be shorter though and you know when your core temp is going down. Mostly it’s the post surf trek back to your vehicle. Wind, toes, fingers, feel very cold in just 1-2 hundred yards. Then getting out of the thick suit when your fingers don’t work, ouch!

dingdong and PeakMaster like this.
  8. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    This. I was stupid enough to have a few sessions during the first week of December wearing 3/2 with no hood or beanie and having very minor cold symptoms. Having fun with serious sinusitis since then ...

9. ChyandourSlider

ChyandourSlider Member

Nov 3, 2016
    West Cornwall, UK
    Strong Coffee and Vitamin I

10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Don't overlook earplugs. Something like these : https://www.amazon.com/Win-Long-Silicone-Reducing-Musicians/dp/B07H14HGPF

I wish I has taken my own advice many years ago. Even if you're wearing a hood.