Winter Boards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Planktom, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:30 AM.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    It's here, as my numb fingers attest to....

What's everyone riding?

I surfed a sucky reef on a 6'8" Parmenter diamond tail Widow at lunch today and my previous surf was on a 9'6" Mitsven Magic in some chunky, mushy-but-lined-up, beach break.

Love winter here...

2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I usually ride a 6 10 wide-point-forward round pin single fin if it is pumping. Think mini-glider, Honey Badger, 70's singlefin.

Otherwise, I love my hulls for anything slightly less critical.

Planktom and JMJackFish like this.
  3. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Pretty much all my boards work great on our points but I picked this up at the end of summer specifically for better winter days. 7' K model with small thruster setup and more downrail than usual. Had it out for the first couple times last week. :)

IMG_20181130_104830798.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018 at 11:24 PM
    Artz, DJR, Tenfooter and 8 others like this.
  4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
  5. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    HxIRiEQ.jpg O4o9GPx.png View attachment 9147 View attachment 9148 View attachment 9148
    Ward coffey is making me a copy of this..torren martyn channel dbl wing..rasta keel 7.10...looking forward to it in couple of weeks..

Unfortunately. A fire at del cabo glassing in santa cruz is delaying it..
    But more important they are closed until they can rebuild...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 8:56 AM
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’m thinking Winter boards mean something in California and Hawaii. Less meaning here in the East. It’s about size and swell period here since much of what we surf is more wind swell and less ground swell. My shortboard is still the 8’2” CB Egg for steeper drops and waves with punch.

Chilly Willy, DJR and Tenfooter like this.
  7. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Just watched the new TM footy on his twinny quiver. He rides that board for the end scenes:

Guess I'll have to save some lunch moaney and get in touch w/ Ward.
    Good call on this worthy project, Dan.

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Ward a fine shaper..family man who enjoys surf travel, especially mid winter breaks, so best to ask his plans to set your delivery expectations...

regardless of bottom config, hard to beat the utility of a 7'10 RP, pretty much the 30-06 of winter boards. In the land of outside beachbreak where ya gotta chase them down, the RP tails on my 7'10's remain the same, however, they've grown up front to accommodate age and injuries, which are pretty much sewn together..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Agreed with @SeniorGrom about not really varying my boards much during the winter vs. the rest of the year. The only thing that I'd note is that with all the offshore wind we get in the winter, I will more often reach for something with a pulled in nose so that can get into waves easier. For longboard, that usually means my Phillips pig instead of my Bing Trimulux. I rode the Bing for most of the summer.

10. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    plus, have to factor the extra cold weather blubber, uh, I mean rubber.... can be significant weight

DJR likes this.