Who's riding edge rails?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. respectthepeck

respectthepeck Member

Apr 10, 2004
    USA
  2. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    How the edge ends as a sting looks very cool. Need a ride report when you get it out.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Check out this video. This is the one that piqued my curiosity most. He is flying at 1:00, almost as if the video is sped up. He does grab the rail a lot to turn... not sure if that is for style or necessity. The turns he does without grabbing looks like he is really putting his body into it.

Also cool how he glides through the weak section at the end of that segment, not unlike a longboard.

4. respectthepeck

respectthepeck Member

Apr 10, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for that! I don’t know much about these , it was Brian Wynn’s idea. I told him what I wanted to do and he shaped it . I’m slowly learning to get out of a shapers way and let em do what they do

McQuad likes this.
  5. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Cool. Love to see what it looks like when it's done.

6. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    I'm just a kook, but have found no issues at all with rail to rail transitions.
    I'll try and post something more soon about my "limited" experiences with this design.

McQuad and Stringer like this.
  7. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I look forward to your next post sonSea

The loaner Edge is acquired. Waves on the way or so they say. Hopefully a report soon.

I will say, it feels less foreign than it looks. Bet it surfs the same.

8. The Kooks Society

The Kooks Society Member

Mar 29, 2016
    USA New York
    I'm posting here a convo that I had with Cuda as I bought an edge board from manny for my brother's 30th.
    This is his experience, surfing in portugal with it for the past year or so.
    ----------------
    He has an arc tail, so some of his comments on the wide tail are more linked to that, than the edge template. 6'9, single, high speed edge fin.
    ----------------

"Definitely not marketing bullshit. 100% next level. Experienced surfers only - not from maneuvers / ripping pov but flow skills and wave reading. Harder than my Simmons board (7ft).
    Fastest and most challenging board ever ridden in 25yrs. Radically mind blowing. Definitely makes you re-evaluate everything you thought you knew about gliding.
    Paddling is as easy as on my 7.5ft single fin wing pin tail. No matter how or when you get up, rails can be put to immediate use and throw on the sickest bottom turns and carves.
    With the arc tail, you gotta know how to control such volume and large tail, but once you get it and put it in the right direction and understand it and feel it - you let yourself be controlled by the glide and speed an edge board can offer.
    No pumping needed. Definitely not that kinda surf. Let it go, the wave's curl and the board do the trick.
    The more speed you get, the more your board gets "out" of the water. Same feeling as riding pillows of powder snow.
    Builds a lot of speed throughout the wave’s face. Can either be ridden down the line or with long ups & downs. Flows. Backside, late take off drops grab rail work wonders. Frontside, the moment you get to dig in the edge rails, inner one especially, you’re getting those huge carve turns.

I see it working best at places like rincon or j-bay. Not sure of its big waves potential, but I think it can be pushed for sure."
    ----------------

voila. hope that helps.

sonOsea, Stringer and Dawnpatrol like this.
  9. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I took out the 6’9 Anderson Putnam Edge yesterday for the first time. Conditions were not ideal. The low end potential of the design is also pretty great. Was super fun in choppy fat waves. I would run it out into the flats and crank a turn right back up into the lip and repeat. If you can link turns, this board is a blast. The key is to keep speed. Also a blast just flying down the line. I would say it’s like the instant speed of a fish with the flow of a hull. But keep in mind the plane shape of this Anderson is much like a Stub. On the low end of things I was shocked at how well it trimmed out and motored through dead spots for a board it’s size, allowing me to connect with an often racy inside section. I was sure that I would need something longer to combat the softness but this thing was unstoppable. Where I most felt the edge effect is how smooth it felt in such choppy conditions. I also found it very forgiving. Might be the nature of this specific board but there was a couple of turns that were not just right and I thought I was going to eat it but the board was locked in and allowed me to recover and keep momentum. The Greenough high speed fin is legit. I loved it and want to try it in some of my other boards where such a fin might excel.

No B.S. I’m sold. Going to link up with KP or Andreini to cook something up.

If you are curious and of mind then I’d say get your hands on one from a shaper that has the knowledge.

I would like to hear from anyone who has surfed a longer edge.

70A5D73B-ED67-49D8-9031-268939D484E4.png