Who's riding edge rails?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Who's got one of those sweet Andreinis, Mandalas, or whatever other company is making boards with those funky Greenough edge rails? They look fun. Let's hear your take on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Edge boards are for hipsters

3. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hey Chilly. Here is an great interview with Marc Andreini where he discusses his relationship with Greenough and the development of the edge board.

https://player.fm/series/surf-splendor/142-marc-andreini

Also below is my friend Cheyne ripping an Anderson Putnam Edge.

136ADE19-9CDB-409C-A335-1D1B694103F8.jpeg

According to Marc they are made to be usable in less than ideal conditions. Think windy and bumpy. I’m cautiously curious about them. I have a line on a loaner. I’ll report back when and if I get a chance to give it a go.

Latte likes this.
  4. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm curious too. "Less than ideal" is all I surf.

Latte, Stringer and Freddibetts like this.
  5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking.

Stringer and Freddibetts like this.
  6. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Specifically, I'm interested in the speed. I watched the vimeo vid -- so many variables come into play, of course, but he's hauling a**, especially on the cutbacks.

Malibootay, not sure if you were kidding and I try not to respond to comments that aren't helpful, but if being intrigued by this design makes me a hipster then, yeah man, what the hell, I'm a hipster, a 60-year-old hipster in mom jeans, flannel shirts that date back to the 70s and no facial hair. The only bow tie I've ever worn was a clip-on my mom made me wear to church in 1966, which, now that I think of it, I might put on ebay.

7. Malibootay

Malibootay New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    It was kind of a joke, but I'm glad you're hip. I'm not into edge boards, too far fetched for me.

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I posted a put down of the edge boards some time back. Now I’m more interested in the design. Oh and I’m sporting some facial hair for the first time in over 30 yrs. too. Wierd.

9. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Have you started listening to Morrissey?

Latte and SeniorGrom like this.
  10. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    My brain hits a wall on how the board would react/feel when it goes on rail. Straight line, I get it. But putting it on rail means going through some pretty drastic changes -- that's where my skepticism comes in. Can't imagine how the transition would be smooth and/or predictable. Love to hear feedback from people who've ridden the design.