Who has Surf Travel plans coming up?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Artz, Dec 12, 2018.

1. 306Bing

306Bing Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    I was in Cabarete in the mid 90s on a windsurfing trip. It was mast high and I was slightly out of my league while guys were double looping but it was a blast. It can get pretty big there. I assume it’s all kites there now. Stepped on a sea urchin an yanked spines out for days. Priceless.

2. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Yeah - Cabarete is a hot spot for kite surfing now - lots of kite surf resorts, etc. (one of the nearby beaches is called "Kite Beach"). We're staying in the "surf zone" a bit to the NW of Cabarete proper right at Playa Encuantro. I did pick up a pair of reef booties though. I figure I'd rather look a little silly than deal with digging an urchin spine out of my foot (plus, coming off of currently-worn 7 mm booties, I think 2mm reef boots will feel glorious).

deemce and 306Bing like this.
  3. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

warm vinegar soaks and compresses for the urchin spines.......my son learned that the hard way in CR

4. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    A friend had a foot full of spines after an incident in an island off Bali a few years back. Apparently, an old woman saw him painfully picking them out with a needle, proceeded to grab his ankle and knock seven bells out of said foot with her sandal for a few minutes.... Obviously hurt like hell, but he said that they kind of 'bled out....!

Has anyone ever heard of this??? Not that I would wish to repeat the scenario at all....

5. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Anyway, back on thread....

We're planning an extended family trip down the Australian East Coast in Jan/Feb 2020. Probably flying to Cairns, snorkeling on the Barrier Reef for a few days then flying to Sunshine Coast to pick up a board and a motorhome (RV?) for a roadtrip down to Sydney.

It's been 20 years since I was last in Oz and I'm really looking forward to it. Hoping the abysmally weak GBP will get a bit stronger, but with the madness that is the UK leaving EU, I doubt it will....

aussie-surfer, dingdong and Croweater like this.
  6. GOIABA

GOIABA Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Looking into Oaxaca for early August. Still south swell season at that time right? Not looking for death barrels at Puerto Escondido but looks like Salina Cruz has some fun points. Anyone have any experience flying with Interjet with boards along? Cheap flights connecting in Mexico City, but can't find much about board bag costs.

7. aussie-surfer

aussie-surfer Active Member

Jun 28, 2007
    USA Wisconsin
    Headed to exotic Jersey Shore end of March. The boy is off school for a week. Visiting family in Fair Haven and then going run down to look at Cape May, hear it’s nice.
    We been iced in on the Lakes since mid-January. It’s the longest I’ve had to sit out in a Winter in the last 25 years. Needless to say, I’m super pumped to taste salt!!!

8. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Cape May is a nice place, lots of old Victorian Homes and Hotels in Cape May. Not sure what the wave situation is in Cape May. March will still be pretty chilly.

aussie-surfer likes this.
  9. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Aussie PM if you need any details on Cape May. There’s a few spots there but can be smaller than the rest of NJ. However there’s some close by other options if CM isn’t working. Awesome place for the family, great beach, surf vibe town.

Ironically I’m in Panama Bocas Del Toros as I type. And our two guides are from Cape May. They head back after each season.

Brief surf report on Panama. Flipping awesome. Waves a mellow chest to O head neck breakers at other spots. Crowds 15 to 20 at the mellow to 1 to 2 at the neck breaker barrels. Vibe in the water - I expected tensions high, but only finding some of the most mellow good nature’s on this earth.

aussie-surfer likes this.
  10. aussie-surfer

aussie-surfer Active Member

Jun 28, 2007
    USA Wisconsin
    Thanks mate. Appreciate the offer.