Who has Surf Travel plans coming up?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Artz, Dec 12, 2018.

1. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    I've done Bocas twice, each time was 30 days. 1st time we stayed on Bastimentos, 2nd time we stayed on Colon.

Words of wisdom: DON'T SURF IN THE RAIN. They burn 100% of the trash on the island including plastic. Rain brings it right back down into the ocean. We learned the hard way and each caught a VERY bad case of septic shock with over 104 degree fevers and constant vomiting. Once we healed up and realized what the cause was, it never happened again.

If you traditionally like surfing larger boards on more mellow waves, Paunch is the only consistent wave you'll enjoy. Old mans and "the point" are fun on a log, but they almost never ever break. Carenero and Dumpers are both VERY fast and hollow lefts, comparable to padang padang when it gets good. Bluffs is a heaving beach break that makes winter in Jersey seem like a joke. Silverbacks is comparable to the Box or Shipsterns. Wizards is an awful beach break.

If you're charging and catching more waves than the locals, they're BRUTAL. I got my leash pulled a few times when I first got there and even got my board punched. Another visitor got a machete to his arm because he was hitting on a local girl at the bar who apparently had a boyfriend.

If you're passive in the lineup and mind your business out of the water, then you're be TOTALLY fine with the locals.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Road trip second week of Jan from up here on Oregon coast down to SoCal, be the first time back there in 38 years. During 70's Baja days used to stop and stay with friends in Encinitas and Sunset Cliffs coming and going. Just gonna drift down, look around, hopefully surf some, drift back up the coast, see old amigos along the way.

longhairhippie, Artz and shadydave like this.
  3. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Noosa here I come!!!

Tenfooter likes this.
  4. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I like that, Just Baja. More then 1000 miles of possibilities. There was a time that I would be down there about every other weekend. Camping on Bluffs over looking the Surf. Now must of those places we camped are Condos or Hotels.

5. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all the tips and cautions on Bocas Del Toros.

Are there boat too only options that aren’t as crowded?

A couple of the guys are taking young teens, so we’ll be extra cautious, and we’re always respectful when in someone else’s backyard playing in their sandbox.

6. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    It’s a bit chilly and there are fucking cops everywhere and it’s a left but hell, double overhead and no one out...

Attached Files:

Ticowannabe and dingdong like this.
  7. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    quick strike to baja this friday!

longhairhippie and Lackosense like this.
  8. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Wonder how San Miguel is holding this swell? You can bet there is a few Boats out at Todos Santos.

9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Anyone on Big Island? Didn’t plan on surfing this trip, but I’m in Kona and I see ripples coming through...