where would you retire?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Dec 8, 2018.

1. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Nova Scotia, maybe Cape Breton. Aside from being absolutely beautiful and filled with nice Canadians, it's got space to roam, waves, natural resources, access to healthcare, etc. The paranoid (or I guess realistic) part of me that can't help thinking of climate change has a louder and louder voice these days, too.

Artz likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    All stunning places, I sometimes wish I could deal with the cold better!

So many issues (directly surfing and retirement related, so I'm not digressing) that have to do with climate changes. The years with a slower gulf-stream flow, our sand replentishment is shite and the sandbars in our area just don't work well. If that slow becomes a stall, both waves and climate here will suffer greatly. While a tiny part of a big picture, someone saving a lifetime to retire in Lacanau and find perpetual closeouts and cold water would be a drag.

3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    The Finn's also have their immigration on lock down, much easier to
    an important factor. Fairly chilling to view the projected sea immersion zones of the coastal states, and then read the ice caps are melting far faster than we thought even a year ago.

I have a particular issue with air quality, as in I really like good air, don't do well without it. Projections of massive and ongoing fire events throughout the US are very dismaying. The NE will actually fair better, as hardwood forests are less susceptible to the massive burns we are seeing in the softwood forests of the PNW. A study performed by the University of British Columbia forestry dept projects a nexus of poor Canadian logging practices and prolonged drought creating conditions for massive fires that could burn up to two years, covering the entire west coast in smoke.

My daughter lives in Spokane with her family, and each summer for the past 5 years they have been subjected to at least 4 to 6 weeks of smoke inundation from Canadian fires across the border.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  4. aussie-surfer

aussie-surfer Active Member

Jun 28, 2007
    USA Wisconsin
    I'd love to make it home, close to family, North Coast of New South Wales or down around the Gong. Reality is that Oz housing market is stupid expensive and I'll want to be close to my Son and where he chooses to be, which likely is here.
    If I'm destined to remain in the Midwest then a seasonal transition to somewhere where you can kite and surf might be in order. Midwest is cheap, so everything is already paid for. Somewhere with a cheap direct flight might be a good start. Potential to be on a board every day being most important consideration. Cold doesn't matter after going through Wisconsin Winters.
    Does the wind blow in Charleston, SC? Maybe Florida? Love OBX!
    Granted, I could definetly live my days out in Mexico. Favorite food, cultural and happiest people I've met.

5. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Nice to be close to your son, both mine are still at home with us so best of both worlds.

70s SanO and aussie-surfer like this.
  6. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    New Zealand, please.

7. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    Best times we’re sharing waves with our twin boys. It is sad that they moved out of state to afford a house and raise a family. Cherish those times together; time moves way too fast.

John

8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Already there.

Looked everywhere when thinking about where to go. Overseas is not an option, not leaving the kids. Same for Hawaii, pretty hard to drive from there. Finally, 35 years after swearing I would never return return to SoCal was in San Diego and figured out that this is where we should be. Best weather in the world, consistent surf and water temps, and when retired you can mitigate the traffic and crowds by moving during the day when others are at work. Yes you can live here on a fixed budget, but it's getting harder and you need to be flexible. Great healthcare.

You can tell where the desirable places are by checking the transient/homeless populations, and ours is huge.

And for those who continue to cite climate change, the air quality in LA area is 1000% better than 40 years ago (the only part of the climate that was strongly affected by human habits), temps are consistent, weather is cyclical just on a much longer cycle than the news would make you believe (I still remember the warnings of a new Ice Age coming when I was a kid), and the seas are still where they've been in my time on earth. Just my observations, best way to tell what the weather is - walk outside, don't listen to the weather-person.

Tenfooter and shadydave like this.
  9. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    All due respect, the seas are actually not where they've been in your time on earth. I get that your comment about walking outside was meant to be cheeky, but there are a lot of people who judge climate by weather in their area, which is a mistake. Ocean health is not where it was, period. Yes, weather is cyclical. Yes, these cycles take time. What's alarming is how quickly the cycle is playing itself out now. And yes, it does have to do with human activity. The science is there, whether you choose to believe it or not. That's all I'll say on this as I don't want to detract from the thread. SoCal would be a great place to retire!

davey likes this.
  10. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    20181214_074134.jpg

sightpoint likes this.