where would you retire?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Dec 8, 2018.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I've been to Sweden, Denmark...probably 30 times. Germany...probably 35. The Swedes are an interesting bunch...or at least were. It's a stratified economy with a small percentage of extremely wealthy and almost no lower income class per se...until their immigration policies of the last decade. They are learning a tough lesson now. As are the Germans to a more limited extent. High tax countries are always high cost of living countries. In my experience Switzerland and Norway top the list. Many variables in a discussion/decision like this. Boils down to lifestyle choices.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Artz

Artz Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida

PeakMaster likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Okay, just one last non-retirement comment and then I promise I'll focus on surfing. Couldn't agree more about the Swedes as an interesting group and about it boiling down to lifestyle choices, with all that implies about values, etc..

For the anecdote, I was at a diplomatic dinner in Stockholm last year and seated by a Swedish anthropologist who convincingly argued that the two most selfish peoples in Europe were the Swedes and the French, with very different manifestations of that selfishness and very different social outcomes. Someday over a glass or four of good Bordeaux, I'll be more than happy to discuss if anyone is really dying to retire in either place.

SeniorGrom, JMJackFish and PeakMaster like this.
  4. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
  5. Artz

Artz Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Mexico could be good. Lots of flights in and out of the Pacific Coast resort towns to US airports as well as Tijuana. Back in the 80s I did a few trips to Mexico flying out of Tijuana. Never had any problems. Surfed Punta Mita and Sayulita before it was a well known surf destination. San Blas is another place to look into seems to be off the Surfing radar now so could be good. Loved Surfing Stoner’s Point. Fun wave. We would surf the river mouth right up until we saw a Fisherman pull in a giant Shark. That tube looked good, it was good but that was one big toothy shark. I would just have to convince my wife that We would be OK in Mexico.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    aussie-surfer likes this.
  6. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    hell we go back every other month or so...come visit us in CR

7. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    what he said...also works like Henry Fords business model...happy lives and happy consumers with disposable income

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Always good hearing from you Tico. Many on here with a larger world view than mine. Having already retired and being happy, married 42 years and currently healthy, my goal is keeping those that govern out of my wallet. This thread has value for us all. Thanks.

9. johnxyz

johnxyz Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi Peak, If I may, was it through work that you took so many trips to Scandinavia and Germany?

10. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Great thread on a couple levels for me.

I work for a Swedish bank and can confirm they are still an "interesting bunch".

My kids isn't out of college until 2032... so "the woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep".

But off the cuff - I love me some MEXICO. Sayulita and Punta Mita are great spots.

In the US it would most likely be Jacksonvillle or St Augie area or Arizona with an RV. My bride is a golfer, so we probably need a little surf and turf to keep everyone happy.

We were in Jax last year it was a good feel for me. Not too much FLA and not too Southern. Had the "old FLA" feel with Southern charm and cooking.

aussie-surfer and PeakMaster like this.