where would you retire?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Dec 8, 2018.

1. NCJohn

NCJohn Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    I had a near death experience when I was younger and nearly lost my father to a heart attack when I was 18. So i decided to retire when I was 23 :) after graduating from a small public college in southern Maryland and 2 years working in the sailing industry where I sailed throughout the caribbean and Australia. My golden years of 23-30 I spent bartending by night and surfing by day in the southern part of the outer Banks which I still believe is one of the best places to surf in the world. November thru December I would spend with family in Maryland and the winter and early spring months I traveled and surfed in central America, Vancouver, australia, and many other places. Turned 30, earned a masters and a CPAlicense, married my college sweetheart. Put in my time at a firm in Maryland for 5 years and leveraged it into a position at the beach in Wilmington, NC. I used to play a lot of golf during the day in inner city Baltimore (a whole other story) when only the retirees were out. One day I was paired with a nice guy who had been retired for about a year. He told me his friends who waited to retire until they could no longer do the things they enjoyed, for various reasons, were quickly passing. He retired early but kept a part time job to keep his mind sharp and finance the things he enjoyed doing. When i look ahead to my second retirement I envision a part-time job, maybe as the starter at the local muni, more time with family and in my garden, and a lot of days on my 10'6 mabile double eagle right here in NC. And maybe just a few more Hatteras barrels!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Nicely put. The last thing I want as the end is inevitable is a list of regrets. Where you choose to live and why should never be on such a list.

Artz likes this.
  3. HogLog

HogLog New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    LCRI
    I would be happy here in Little Rhody, and a small place in Jupiter FL for winter!

shadydave and PeakMaster like this.