where would you retire?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    No snow zones, or 100 degree summers, decent longboard waves, houses under 400K, half hour to shopping, health care, the usual needs, hour from an airport.

Diggin your hang enough to stay there, or if not, where would you like to be?

2. billypilgrim

billypilgrim Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like Brevard County, Florida.

Patrick Riley and PeakMaster like this.
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    The plan is already in motion. NJ beach house April-November...Tucson, AZ or possibly outside of PHX somewhere December-March..road trips and flights to San Diego from AZ. Going to AZ in March to look at houses.

4. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    About the only place in FL I've been that I liked. But searching homes from Canaveral to Satellite Indiatlantic...WTF?? My observations: no new construction anywhere near the beach. Older homes that require a shit ton of work. It's not the heat but the humidity☺. On the other hand...easily accessible driving and flying. I know guys that get $63 flights on shitty Spirit Airlines and go down for 4 day weekends. Plenty of surfing buddies that are heading in that direction...or Gulf side but travel to the real swell generator of the Atlantic side is short...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  5. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I’m retiring in about a year. I am headed to the Midwest. Affordable housing and cost of living, hunting, fishing, great schools, low crime rate (where I am going), great hospitality and service industry, nice people, plenty to do, and plenty of jobs for a second career (I’m only 38). Flights aren’t that expensive to surf destinations, so I can set myself up to live comfortably and still head to surf spots. We will probably retire to somewhere that has surf firing on the regular after my next retirement.

PeakMaster likes this.
  6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    yea, we're ready for our second retirement hang...Oregon coast has been great, so many uncrowded days, fly fishing for King salmon in the local rivers can be off the charts...however, time to move on from 90 inches of annual rain, an hour to medical care and such, punchy beachbreaks lacking channels pretty much elder abuse...so starting to search for a more doable hang, be fine with just fun longboard waves at this point, travel for the better ones..

we plan on taking a trip to St. Augustine in spring to look around the area, Oceanside as well, an old amigo bought into Oceana there, a 55+ community 10 mins from the beach, easy jaunts over the border..

A surfing acquaintance up here spends his winters in Palm Desert, just a couple hours drive to Carlsbad...likes the hang, the winter desert, makes the drive when surfing conditions right.

It's nice to have choices, why we worked so damn hard...

7. Komaiaboyz

Komaiaboyz Active Member

Apr 27, 2008
  8. GETWET

GETWET Member

Aug 14, 2008
    oahu
    Oceanside Ca.
    Friend retired there about 8 years ago.
    He chases surf everyday. Go inland from coast and housing becomes more reasonable.

Croweater and SeniorGrom like this.
  9. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Yeah...if you're Phillipino or your wife is...great. Otherwise, let us know how that works out for you.

10. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Right here on the East Coast of Australia..Paradise.