what glider for beachbreak?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Want to add a 10'0 glider style cruiser to the quiver, be used primarily in beachbreak, so a tad more rocker and outline curve. Have come across some snippets about Larry Mabile doing this style, can't find much info on his web site. Any other shapers you'd recommend for a BB glider whose web site I can view for some ideas?

2. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    http://www.micahwood.com/micah_wood_model.html

3. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    How about a 10' mabile or mitsven magic?

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Fishy wrote:
    would welcome feedback from anyone who has ridden the respective shapes.

5. MrChristmas

MrChristmas Active Member

Dec 10, 2014
    USA California
    Surfnfish wrote:
    Have Both Flavors. In my opinion the Mabile is a little more user friendly rail wise more of a 60/40 vice the egg rail,(Skip Frye style) I think Larry Mabile puts a little more "Hip" back by the tail that makes his boards come around quicker. The Mitsven is fast but you have to surf it with a little more finesse and let the board do the work. IMHO the better alternative is Michael Miller, a true craftsman, solid person and some of the finest work around these parts! His creations work very well.

6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Skip's Eagles, what all "glider" boards are based off were designed for him to connect (beach break) sections from Harry's to PB point, "cross country style"surfing. Every beach break differs but this is as i recall the origin of the shape.growing up in PB watching Skip surf i can tell you they work great for this if your name is Skip Frye. That said they are not an easy board to ride properly, and beach breaks with the typical crowds add to the challenge.Mitsven, Mabile, Miller,Hall and Christenson all know the drill and all make very worthy versions. I have ridden them all along with a few Andreini's. Pick a shaper you want to work with, if you are in southern CA Mitsven is my suggestion. I also suggest you go 10'6 as a starting point to get the full experience.

7. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Get ahold of Jim Phillips and get one of those Hawaiian named things. Gliders are fer mush. That pointy smooth thing jim makes may be the most beautiful surfboard ive ever seen.

Islander1341 likes this.
  8. Fubar

Fubar Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Andreini Hippy Pin, that's what I use.

9. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Got a 10-6 ricky carroll up for sale. He calls his a skipper. I'm Only selling to get a 11 footer of the same model. I personally have not tried another glider so I can compare.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

10. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Forgot to mention your welcome to try it if you are in the area