What effect has skateparks had on today’s surfing?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SeniorGrom, May 15, 2018.

1. surflax

surflax Active Member

Mar 11, 2007
    USA Pennsylvania
    Carver trucks have gotten me back on a skateboard and in parks after a long hiatus. Never needing to kick turn you can find endless lines and as an old guy, flow is way more important than airs,coping etc. I do find that off times are best as others can have a tough time "reading" where I'm headed or that I'm going for extended runs as opposed to single moves/tricks. It's opened up a whole new world of fun...

glider_boy and bonzer like this.
  2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Just watched the final of the Corona Bali pro. .. Italo Ferreira rides his last wave in the final switch stance and makes an OK, if novelty, job of it. It was pretty good to watch, made me smile.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  3. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I was a (street) skater for a looooong time before I started surfing. I've been skating some transition again recently, partly with encouragement from Planktom. Having so much fun with it....

Anyway, skated a small bowl for the first time ever the other day. Pumping around is so similar to the climbing and dropping and high line trim of a keel fish. Weird how it's a different but similar skill compared to pumping on a regular mini ramp transition though.

I wanted to add, right around the time that I started surfing, the seedling came out and one of my good friends had just bought a longboard. I bought the vhs and just was totally hooked by the grace of Tudor on a model T. I lived two hours from the ocean and only owned a thruster. I bought a longboard skate and used to head out at night, bomb hills and practice logging ready for when I could surf well enough/ buy a log. I learnt the basics/ getting the balance and body position of cross stepping, hanging heels, hanging ten and drop knees before I owned a board over 7'4. It made a massive difference to. Y surf progression

4. Lektriz

Lektriz New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Finland
    After shoulder surgery I was landlocked close to a year and started skating to stay sane. In hindsight it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

When I finally got back in the water after the surgery IMHO I was surfing better then ever and I had also picked up the joys of matsurfing along the way.

Really miss bombing the valleys and fjords in the Lofoten Islands, tunnel in and out made safe daylight runs possible.

lofoten skate2.jpg

SeniorGrom and JMJackFish like this.