What effect has skateparks had on today’s surfing?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SeniorGrom, May 15, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

Kevin Reed, 1975, cover of Surfing mag, which did an article on his aerials after SoCal surfers who had been up at the Lane for a contest came back with word about that 'flying Lane guy', so they sent a photographer up to document it..not throwaway flyers, legit launches over the wave face and landing them. For those of us in the lineup, we routinely saw daylight under Kevin's tail, often several feet worth, and he landed as many as he didn't.

Conversely, Christian Fletcher was raised by one of the most self-promoting surfers of all time, and Herbie made damn sure Christian's antics were highly promoted inclusions in the surf movies Herbie was making a living producing at the time.

So was Kevin first? Doubt it..there was a stand up paipo boarder on the south shore in HI back in the 60's known for landing flips above the lip...in reality, the only definitive in surfing is that the progression of each generation stands on the shoulders of the generation(s) before it..

Planktom likes this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    As long as there’s respect paid to those who went before all is good. I’m more interested in the connection skating in pools and parks has to the progression of our paddle-in surfing sport. Seems clear there is one. Thanks.

3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I remember seeing that cover before, quite amazing for the time, not even sure if anything could be compared to it these days and you make a very valid point about Herbie and the videos he was making at the time Surfnfish.

A couple of guys have recently completed kick flips on a surfboards and plenty can do shuvits too. Naturally, this entails getting the board into the air, but are they functional 'aerials'? I say not, but that's just my opinion . Tomato, tomahto....

Carry on...

4. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    SG - apologies for getting caught up in the semantics, but I think it's important to point out that many jumps/flyouts (as opposed to flyaway), launches, etc. have been sort of mislabelled as aerials in surfing for a long time. Quite often these are standalone punctuations at the end of a ride, often landing in the flats, sideways, on top of the lip, you get the gist.. I think that's changing a lot now and it's good to see the flow and speed that some guys can get

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    No apology needed. You guys know way more than I do about guys getting air in the past. I got somewhat hooked on watching contests streaming online a few years ago. I wasn’t too happy when they started scoring ‘tricks’ not surfing maneuvers at the beginning. Especially a single manuver wave. To me they make more sense ‘if’ they are functional or a punctuation point on an already exceptional scoring wave. Still many times it is fluff more than function riding a shortboard. We have many very talented local surfers here (though inconsistent waves). I have seen hundreds of half hearted air attempts. ZERO landed! I was hoping to hear also about the flowing beauty of switching stance on a longboard. Things that ‘old guys’ like Joel Tudor and CJ Nelson can’t do as well as the new school.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Yes, I understand your interest in that too... JT is a great skater, but there is quite likely a generational thing going on in the context of switchstance dexterity I think, with it being normal for kids to learn things switch these days when compared to say, 1995 or something...

I used to be able to clearly tell when someone was skating switch, but some guys like Andrew Allen and Ryan Lay have it down pat to the point where it's imperceptible unless you 'know' what their natural stance is - quite impressive IMO. It has to be said that some of the OG Makaha longboard crew are seriously adept at switching stance too, through backwash, no less..! I'm thinking of the Keaulana's inc. Buff, too.

The crazy switch hill-bombs get me these days... I don't know why, but it's way easier to deal with speedwobble and running out (or at least trying to) when things get hectic when you are facing the 'right' way.

7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Simon Law at Pipe comes to mind too

8. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Would love to see some more footage and pics of the pioneers. A lot of names I don't know, which is cool. Love discovering the roots of stuff.

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    [QUOTE="I was hoping to hear also about the flowing beauty of switching stance on a longboard. .[/QUOTE]

good point..all the high flyers on tour these days, and not a single legit switch foot. In my 5+ decades of non-stop surfing have known only one, Jeff Clark from Mavericks fame...have known surfers who once they performed a backside turn could switch stance..only Jeff, however,could rail a bottom turn and surf 'naturally' either way..

makes one wonder...lotta surfing pro level snowboarders and skaters who rip switch on asphalt and snow, can't pull it off in the surf...

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Skateboarding has most definitely blended itself into surfing -- anything (airs or turns) where you end up tail first and doing the revert to bring it back around is straight out of skate vocabulary. (Likewise, this influence also made its way to bodyboarding with the ARS where they land an air/roll backwards and spin it back around.) Also, I feel like I've seen a lot of McTwist-type stuff with the air craze lately. Mike McGill was really ahead of his time with that.

Two things that are unfortunate aspects to the skate crossover:
    1. When people are all about boosting air but never make an earnest attempt to land it. I feel like this is the biggest skate foul out there. Tricks aren't impressive unless you roll away. Imagine if the vault event in gymnastics was just about how many times you could spin around in the air and then just land on your face? (Admission: I'm sure I did this too back in my skate days.)
    2. When shortboarders do that little ollie move on the shoulder or out in the flats, usually kind of a 180 ollie with a revert at the end. Ugh. That just isn't stylish to me at all. To each his own.
    I used to skate a lot of ramps and bowls, and the twin keel fish always is easier to ride when I picture it like a skateboard. Thinking in the opposite direction, I don't think I skated bowls the right way back then, worrying more about doing stuff on the coping rather than carving through corners and stuff. I feel like my surfing influence has made me rethink the way I appreciate bowl skating -- with surfing experience under my belt, I'd rather get a nice flowing run going instead of worrying about all the tricks. (Trix are for kids?) It could be fun to grab a skateboard and try riding a modern bowl with more of a flowing approach.

glider_boy and SeniorGrom like this.