What effect has skateparks had on today’s surfing?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SeniorGrom, May 15, 2018.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I believe young skateboarders carried some benefits into the water but would like to hear from you.

2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    If I was pushed to define my boardriding proclivities, I would suggest that I am skater that surfs, rather than vice-versa and my 2p is that whilst there is an ongoing osmosis between all board sports in general, the last 15yrs or so has seen an obvious influence of skateboarding on high-performance shortboard surfing.

However, from a skater's eye, many of the airs are non-functional nor very clean in execution (not that I can really do airs on a surfboard well in any case, I must add..) Landing sideways, continuing to hold the grab after a landing, stinkbugs... all a bit ugly to my eye...

Christian Fletcher has said more than once that he was probably the first surfer to do a functional air - landing back into the transition with speed carried into another turn, and despite his wide-stanced style, they look like they are done with some purpose and forethought rather than just a blast into oblivion. Other guys have got this too - Craig Anderson being one.

The guys I like to see are the ones who have this flow, particularly if they only use grabs when they need to.

The influence of surfing on skating is becoming more apparent in the last ten years too, with some of the all-terrain guys like Grant Taylor and Raven Tershy being beautiful to watch with styles that are a million miles away from the technical ramp-robots that were a dime a dozen in the late 90s/early 00s.

Just my opinion..

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I agree with what you see and feel. The thing that makes me the most envious is younger longboarders ease and flow switching stance. Skaters (and snowboarders too) seem to get comfortable with either foot forward very quickly. So hard for me to re-wire.

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Back in the early 70's, Kevin Reed and the Steamer Lane crew in Santa Cruz were flying high above the lip while Christian was still in diapers..it's why Pat O'Neil invented the first leash, a 6' piece of clothesline attached to wrist and nose mounted suction cup, so the air crew at the Lane wouldn't lose so many boards into the cliffs from unsuccessfully landed launches..

Skateboarding and surfing? John John pretty much defines that discussion..

5. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    [QUOTE="Surfnfish, post: 131553, member: 1492".

Skateboarding and surfing? John John pretty much defines that discussion..[/QUOTE]
    [/QUOTE]

His frontside high speed open face carves are straight from the walls of a pool. He's so comfortable at speed.

Planktom likes this.
  6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    First functional air - Fletcher, sorry.

7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Matt Kechele would also deserve a mention as an early aerialist, but it took Christian's skill and insight as a more than proficient skater to make it something you actually gained speed from, rather than lost. Archy had that groove too.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    And yes, JJF definitely has it too

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    the hubris of that declarative, from someone who wasn't even in this country, much less here at the time, is fairly amusing..

10. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Yes, I can imagine..

Logically, if Orton and, latterly, Alva were doing the first functional, purposeful, aerials (not flyouts, which are a different thing altogether) on skateboards in 77 then it just as amusing to suggest that a surfer was doing the same thing at the very same time in the sea, regardless of location.

I would suggest that plenty of surfers, quite possibly in other parts of the world too, were busy involved in flyouts a long time ago, but proper aerial turns, boosting high and landing in a transitition, holding speed, probably not...

It would be great to see some new found archive footage of such antics and if it did surface, you are welcome to choose which sauce I eat my hat with!