What are you guys riding on steeper days?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Planktom

Planktom Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Those 'easy roll-in - square down the line' waves still spin me out as you know what's coming! I surfed big G-Land a few years back and the ease of a Launching Pad take off doesn't really make big, draining Speedies much easier to deal with (at least, mentally)

2. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
  3. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    This.

JMJackFish likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    ya, G-Land is a whole lotta fun until the swell jacks up and shit gets serious..and kind of a bummer when the body count includes the only doctor in camp who cracks his ribs and takes the next boat out...

Planktom likes this.
  5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    From how the OP has described himself, out of shape longboarder, and discounts wave size, I think Indo is out of the question.

I'm not really surfing a beach break these days. Probably the steepest I've surfed on a longboard was overhead T-street and Trails on a 10 footer, and I don't think that was really steep.

If it were me, I'd probably look for a thick board with a narrow tail and pulled in nose, decent kick to drop in, but flat enough to trim out and light, maybe EPS... if no heavy offshore. Probably a 9 to 9.5 footer depending on the thickness. There have been some good suggestions in this thread, but thickness will make or break the OP.

I rode a 4" thick 6'4" back in the early 70's.

Technique is a big part of it. Even today on a 10.5 longboard I'll be up and turning the minute the board starts moving on a really late takeoff. I might get flamed, but if you are doing a true bottom turn on a longboard on a fast wave, it's already over... unless you have a paddle or are getting in super early.

John

Planktom and michael like this.
  6. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    This is another option:
    Ole 9'0" X 23" X 3 1/8" 2+1
    Proven in NJ beach break

untitled-2592-2.jpg untitled-2593-2.jpg untitled-2594-2.jpg

JMJackFish likes this.
  7. Marc

Marc New Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Are you riding a point break or beach break?
    I have an all around board, handles two foot days to overhead and steep waves. A 9'6" Yater, I just throw it on the car and go check out whats happening all though I generally ride point breakes.
    Heavy so it breakes through the wind and paddles like a champ, also Weber preformer would be my recommendations:)

8. Planktom

Planktom Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    The Serena keeps getting a mention as a '2ft to 10ft' all rounder... Steep or not. Would love to try one