What are you guys riding on steeper days?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jun 7, 2017.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Waves I ride are pretty soft compared to hollow draining reef breaks. Ability age and fitness come into play too. If you can't paddle down the face, pop up, and make that first bottom turn, things will end badly. Confidence in your equipment helps too.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
  3. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    For NJ beach break type steep waves, this is what I have ridden with success:
    Austin take on a PTLW:9'2"

Austin Pintail.jpg Austin Pintail #2.jpg Austin Pintail #3.jpg Austin Pintail #4.jpg

4. Pierpont Scott

Pierpont Scott Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Ventura
    If you call standing in trim performance then I guess a turd pig is high pro..... Takayama beach break with a tri set up small 6" center with full shortboard side fins has worked for me from.north shore Oahu , overhead/double south Shore town, to big winter waves here at home in southern California. But to tell you the truth I ride any board I got in the truck at the time it's just a matter of adjustment in style and knowing how to make what your sliding on work in those conditions. It's the archer not the arrow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    McQuad likes this.
  5. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Shortboards with hella rocker. Having spent about four years being that cunt with the tattoos washing across reefs and blowing eardrums out on blown takeoffs in dodgy places breaking shallow on cool single fins and mid-lengths, my steep and hollow quiver is a 6'0" Stuart Bender mini-gun, 6'4" Roberts Black Thumb, 6'10" Roberts Stepup G, 8' Linden gun and 10' Linden gun when it's big enough to surpass your reasons to live. Life lessons, travel and homophobic aussie coal miners have cured me of any desire to ride anything flat, fat and long in anything trulu steep... though as my redneck ol' man would say, that's prolly more the indian than the bow n' arrow. Joels and Mikes (not me) and hipster lads seem to have a lovely time on their time machine craft on all sorts of bonker waves...

McQuad likes this.
  6. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Damn PPS! Metaphor jinx.

Pierpont Scott likes this.
  7. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

If it makes you smile, then you're having fun!!

8. Planktom

Planktom Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    @icecream
    I am on shortboards/bonzer/fishes in steeper stuff 90% of the time and agree with you.

I've ended up with just one board at the moment owing to ding repairs and a bit of quiver Cull otherwise I would never have found myself paddling out on the Phil Edwards. Glad I did though, it's good fun. Only drawback is paddling out in short period beachbreak as I can't duck it

9. DKNJ

DKNJ Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    [​IMG] steep board1.PNG steep board2.PNG steep board3.PNG Mitsven Gliders are always my go to in steep heaving waves; 9'0 (2+1), 8'2 single, & 7'6 bonzer. The 8'3 Skip Egg is amazingly fast & last election day handled stand up barrels at Sandy Hook smooth as butter. 8'8 Skip Magic is the best of both worlds, fast as hell & the most positive control board I have.

10. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Yo!

DKNJ likes this.