What are you guys riding on steeper days?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jun 7, 2017.

1. michael

michael New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Long Branch, NJ
    Going to leave wave height out of the equation, since every area gets steep at different points - but how do you guys handle the real punchy steep days?

I've only got my 9'8" model T now and the huge glide and paddle speed is something I rely on. Once the waves get a little too steep I can either get tossed around like a rag doll, or just count myself out.

Do you guys have any quiver recommendations for punchy surf with tons of glide for an out of shape longboarder?

2. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I ride my 10'4" Jim Phillips Ka Po'e Ae'a, when it get big or steep here in VA Beach, it is a speed shape , but not really a glider. Something like a Trestle Special or Phil Edwards model. The board is also good for big choppy days, seems to cut through the chop

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Active Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    I stay on the beach.

4. michael

michael New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Long Branch, NJ
    As of now, so do I, but I'd rather get in there

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  5. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Member

May 16, 2013
  6. bonzer

bonzer Member

Mar 11, 2014
    USA New Jersey
    Good call Miz need one ...

7. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    I ride a shortboard if theres decent shape and size. Something with three fins and more rocker would help. If buying a good wave board is out then consider doing burpees to get you up to your feet faster. I think the model T is a really good board and you would be surprised by what it could handle. The paddle out if the waves are pumping would likely be the hardest part unless you timed a lull for the paddle. Being able to duckdive really helps though

8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Either the 8'3" Vaquero on loan from Shady or my 8'8" Garbutt made from the 1968 Bahne. Both can get me in early enough and handle the steep drops. The Andreini is very fast too!

9. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    I ride my fifties pig (ahem... I mean my turd {thanks Finward for the name!}). It's holds in trim, its super fast and paddles well. But beware!!! Some think the previously mentioned description isn't "actual performance ".

10. glider_boy

glider_boy Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    I've been riding a 9'4" Miller Eagle and a 7'10" egg depending on how big / steep. But thinking about a fishsimmons in the 8'6" - 9' range. Also: "big / steep" for me is still pretty tame.