Wax alternative

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Finward, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    I really hate wax, so I have no romantic attachment to the look or feel of it.

There is a product called Wax Mat by Surfco that I have been putting on more and more of my boards that I absolutely love. Feels better underfoot than wax and every bit as much traction. I started with it on a longer mid length mal and have now put it on more and more of my shorter boards. Tac and traction doesn't change with temperatures. If you do manage to get it covered with sunscreen it washes off with dish soap. Doesn't yellow or degrade and I have not gotten any sort of rashing from it. I like the ability to put my board in the car and not worry about wax melting or rubbing off ( giggity giggity) on my interior. I used it while on Maui on a 6'6" and now in Florida this past week in this storm swell on a 6' with zero complaints or issues.

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Vacuum bagging sheet cork on the deck has been done too. I haven't tried it but it does make sense.

JBorbone likes this.
  3. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
  4. DownSouthSlidah

DownSouthSlidah Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Seriously, can this work on older boards with heelies?

5. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
  6. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007

Wax mat vid.

7. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I have Versa Traction on three of my shortboards, works great. Clear so the board looks good and plenty of traction when it's wet and under pressure.

8. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    I tried versa traction and it worked fine the first session. The next two sessions were aggravating with hands and feet slipping - waiting 15 minutes for a wave just to slip right off. I hate wax more than anyone but really skeptical of other stuff.

What is the difference between wax mat and versa traction and hexamajig?

9. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    By adding these mats on a longboard say a 9', I wonder what the "real" weight difference would be verses a descent wax layer?

P.S., Tico knows I don't put very much on my boards if any! LOL!