Wave Rage

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by kiwi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
  2. davey

davey Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Bloody blowins.:X

3. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Around here we call people who catch a lot of waves good surfers...

4. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    around here we call people who physically hurt a 62 year old women in the line up...
    someone looking for a beatimg.

5. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    unforgiven wrote:
    Anyone push my 60 year old ass of a board and they will get a mouth full of brass knuckles. I doubt this woman is taking every wave from these guys..are you kidding me?

6. surforexic

surforexic New Member

May 12, 2008
    Trinidad and Tobago
    b4 you all jump down my throat and commence to verbaly beat me down... i dont condone violence, and I am not saying that this story is / was the case here...:?

but there have been plenty of obnoxious chicks in the lineup who think that just bc they surf in their bikinis, or because they are chicks they desrve every wave, they can kook out in front of you, go straight (not a homo joke i swear) or just plain stuff you and then run their yaps if you say anything to them like hey you know be careful and watch what you are doing...... so i say equality right? you wanna be treated equally then be prepared for it when you strt acting obnoxious you are gonna get yelled at irregardless of your sex, youwanna snake people, cut people off, run your yap, your gonna get some back, just be prepared for it...tis the golden rule treat others how you would like to be treated.

7. surflugen

surflugen Member

Mar 17, 2006
    USA California
    surforexic wrote:
    wow.

I do not disagree, but I think its a bit once sided on both sides.

Main cause - crowds

one side - thinks they have the right to the ocean and should be excused for their behavior in the water no mater if their behavior does not fit the mold of what is the majority norm (relative).

other side - thinks because they have been surfing that break for a number of years (relative) the have the right to regulate the crowd.

Neither side wins and the crowd is still there.

Politically, if the "other side - so called long time locals" keeps raising hell, and has some drones take the fall, fear will take over and keep potential new people away. (I don't see how that could really be a win in the long run)

Solution to crowds. Suck it up and quit crying, adapt or move on.

And if you cause some commotion and there is a shadow of doubt that you made an error, get out and move on till it can be forgotten.

Its a stand of wills but there is no way it should ever result in violence. Accidents (dangerous at that) do happen, but even if you are good, you can not "cut it close" in a crowd and think your in the right otherwise it would not be thought of as "cutting it close" and if it looks to dangerous to go when some newbies are floundering in the way, don't risk it. There are more waves coming and it doesn't hurt that much compared to a potenial accident to verbally abuse those inside floundering to get the out of the way or get out. Making that statement personal would be a mistake. How can you not get pissed, even when its your fault, if someone taking control of communication makes it personal by calling you names. It takes will power to not bark back.

No one has a right to anything the ocean gives. Its how you take it that makes you who you are. cool guy, ripper, wave hog, aggo, respected.

8. MarinedudeJoe

MarinedudeJoe New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    USA Florida
    Nice reply and well put..You guys have beautiful waves out there and here in NW Florida Pensacola and Panama City we dont get jack..but its stll fun and a challenge. The good thing is that its all bar break and one place is as sorry as the next..so I just go alone or with a friend or two and stay away from the pier and the attitudes. Surfing to me is an individual sport and no one really remembers or sees that you have just gotten a nice ride except for you. Unless your hot and your a big name then someone might take a picture or two..but they soon move on and do their own thing on the beach...so if I accidently bash some tourist's head in I jump off the board and apologize to him..everything is cool.

9. pierpont-scott

pierpont-scott New Member

May 11, 2006
    there are rules to this game whether you think there are or not! and being a newb does not excuse you from learning those rules , so if you are a shoulder hoper expect to get treated like one. crowds or not if you want waves paddle to the peak if not don't expect people not to call you out.

10. surflugen

surflugen Member

Mar 17, 2006
    USA California
    I doubt any appology ever goes very far in any situation in the water. I am sure it helps but responsibility goes a long way.