Wave Machine

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by waaahoo, Oct 27, 2018.

1. waaahoo

waaahoo Member

May 2, 2007
    walkingtheplank likes this.
  2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Now, that's different!

3. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
  4. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

306Bing likes this.
  5. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Waiste high groveling has never been more celebrated.

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Awful......one or two turns and the wave is over. Too much like home.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    That's a pretty fair assessment.

Seems like these wave pool videos are almost always full of shortboarders struggling to get their boards going on little waves and then trying for airs. Watching that one early Wavegarden video from years ago, I remember hoping to see someone doing some smooth gliding on waves that are appropriate for it, but I guess that doesn't look as good in a video meant to generate hype. I'd have to say that this new wave would probably be most fun for me if I were riding a boogie and trying to pull into those small barrels.

Interesting though, Kelly's wave really broke the glass ceiling for wave pools. It's cool seeing them crop up more and more making generally respectable and rideable waves as compared to wave pools of 30 years or so ago:
    [​IMG]

8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    I’m guessing in the very near future we’ll be seeing waves generated mechanically ( non flow rider type) that are big enough to let a surfer get barreled with out squatting down.

In the mean time they’d be well served to put some loggers on theses “prototypes”.

Either way you slice it, i’d be psyched to surf the current waves coming out of that plunger thing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Same!

10. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I felt the same! Why show a struggle to get barreled in waist high waves when they could show some great longboarding. Either way it looks fun and I'm glad to see something that can service so many people at once.