Waterproof Video Camera that isn't a GoPro

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by KDenning, Apr 25, 2019.

1. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Wondering if anyone out there has experience with non-GoPro waterproof video cameras? Looking to film out in the water but I've never had good luck with GoPros and never care for the video quality.

Every time I've taken a GoPro out I've usually gotten frustrated with it's user-friendliness and just put it away.

Thanks in advance,
    Kirk

2. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Pentax Optio WG-2

3. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    If you want a better ride look into. Sony a600 with Waterproof housing. Like you I have been very disappointed with GoPro. The other point and shot cameras Had better results. Still the quality was lacking. Ran into a Photographer getting out of the surf with with a Waterproof rig. Ask what he was using and he said a Sony mirrorless a7sII He highly recommended the a6000 as a great camera to start with. I have seen some used on eBay. There are a few different waterproof housing that fit the Sony. 23 megabytes should get some quality Photos and videos.

N

4. Walnuts

Walnuts Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Long Beach, NY
    I had that camera for a while and it really does provide quality photos. There is a newer version, I believe the a6300. My advice to the OP is to price out housings before deciding on the camera since they can run upwards of $1,000. For a DSLR or mirrorless. At a time I also had a canon G series with underwater housing and loved it.

Artz likes this.
  5. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Just won a a6000 on eBay. With two different lens one up to 200mm Very stoked on the deal. Now looking for a Water proof housing.

6. Walnuts

Walnuts Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Long Beach, NY
    Congrats. One of the greatest things about that Camera is you can pick up lenses from almost any manufacturer, a cheap adaptor, and use manual focus / peaking to get some great results.

Artz likes this.
  7. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I have been looking for a good camera for taking reference photos for my Paintings. Also wanted something to do learn shooting some surf photos.
    Found two housings with grips both around $700.00 So I can be in for less then $1000.00.
    If you have any photo editing programs you like, ones that will work on Apple let me know.