Water Container... Yea or Nay

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by 70s SanO, Dec 2, 2017.

1. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I've been using 2 liter bottles for rinse water, but I want something a little better.

I have a couple of 5 qt plastic motor oil bottles in the garage. I rinsed out the empty one with purple degreaser and then dawn liquid. They would be perfect, but a part of me is saying, "Don't be stupid, you'll never get all of the residue out."

I could buy a couple made for water, but I just don't want to spend the money. And this is after I went to Costco... lol.

What do you think?

John

2. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    I wouldn't. I'm not a chemist but I'm always getting amazed how much oil remains in the can after you pour it out. When I change oil (yep, still do it myself) I always put emply containers aside for like 20-30 min then pour them again. I know you said you going to wash it, but still... hey my wife always complains when I''m using that cutting board for fruits because it's for onion...

On another hand, I use winshield flued gallon jars :D

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Probably has a good conditioning affect on hair and skin. Lord knows there’s probably no longer any petroleum in motor oil. Continue and report back.

4. davesburgers

davesburgers Member

Sep 4, 2015
    USA New York
    Use a big laundry detergent bottle, the kind that has the push button for a spout can be nice too

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    When we used to live in West Africa, nearly everyone in the villages used oil bottles for transporting drinking water... Way up in northern Mali the risk of running out of water probably outweighed the risk. Did it a couple of times in a pinch, but geez, the taste lingers forever.
    Anywhere else.... the older and wiser me says that there are a ton of other, better options.

6. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    John and all you older guys will understand this - next time you get a colonoscopy save the gallon bottle used for the pre-procedure "cleansing". Heavy plastic, works great.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  7. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Here is my water source, a 2.5 gallon insulated hot water container. Made for hot beverages for catered events and buffets, keeps water hot for a long time. Hot water may not be too important to west coasters but here in the east when the water is in the 40's or below and the air freezing, sure is nice. the water flows for a full 3 minutes and is hot even after sitting in my freezing car for a few hours. I pre-heat the container and fill it with straight hot shower water, would be even hotter if I added boiling water. IMG_0697 copy.jpg

8. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    While I am reluctant to say this, Roadmaster knows what he is talking about.

9. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I use a 5 gallon water jug for the office water cooler. Have a sink in the garage next to water heater. Hot as it gets and wrap a towel for the drive. My brother uses a few gallon plastic gas can. Doesn't tip over and the looks are funny. I've seen old milk gallon jugs to a few 2 liters or laundry detergent. Someone mentioned a couple jugs in a cooler with the wetsuit, boots and gloves. Like a preheated suit! Then toss the wet into it for the ride home keeping the vehicle dry. I will be trying it out for sure.
    Roadmaster is always in the water. Half a foot wave 30 degrees out and he is on it. As crowded as our spot gets I know he has had more solos than any 10 others have.

10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Well I'm embarrassed to talk about going to a 4/3 when the water gets down into the 50's and the air is in the 60's or 70's.

Back at the ranch... so far no one has given a definite nay to the oil bottle. I'm still hoping that someone will chime and tell me not to do it. Then again the radioactive water probably offsets the ill effects... two wrongs making a right.

John