Wanted: Tyler Riddler

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by harboursurfer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Barnyard01

Barnyard01 New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Kazakhstan
    Enough talk about this and that. Lets see some proof of you TURNING and NOSERIDING your 422, Riddler, and IS IS. Don't be scared its only surfing!

2. sbsurfer777

sbsurfer777 New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Barnyard01 wrote:
    I agree. All this talk about these boards, but no photos to show proof that they ride as good as people claim.

3. SoCalSoulSurfer

SoCalSoulSurfer New Member

May 5, 2008
    USA California
    Post a photo of yourself on your 422, Riddler, or Is Is. This is what I would like to see also.

4. harboursurfer

harboursurfer New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    USA California
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=FcZTWy36O30

Here is Tyler riding the Riddler on video.

5. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    harboursurfer wrote:
    Watching Tyler makes half of me want to quit and the other half of me run out of my office and head back down to the beach...

The guy is just amazing. Seriously. You can always tell someone is truly excellent at something when they make it look so effortless and casual.

6. sbsurfer777

sbsurfer777 New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Tyler has style and grace. He's a phenomenal surfer and his boards are second to none.

How about a video of Zeph showing us the Is Is?

7. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    I actually thought there were several times in that video where he could have used the piece he lopped off the nose. Times when the front of the board started to sink and he had to retreat but the water was just moving by in such a way that if he'd had a smooth piece of foam on the front, with maybe a boat-hull type rail, he could have stayed on.

I wonder if he looks at the video and ever thinks the same thing.

Chopped nose - form or function?

8. sbsurfer777

sbsurfer777 New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I personally think the squared nose would be more functional to hang ten off the nose, sort of like standing on a diving board. A rounded nose will have your feet angled in opposite directions.

9. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    sbsurfer777 wrote:
    There's a pretty interesting "extra" on the Single Fin Yellow DVD where Tyler discusses the design elements of the "green board" aka Riddler. He draws specific references to the original 422 style shape as a direct influence on the board.

Very interesting discussion, then they show the segment that was linked above w/ Tyler surfing Porto on the Riddler -- killin' it! :shock:

10. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    sbsurfer777 wrote:
    I wouldn't think that would have much of an effect. A good long noseride, whether a perched 10 or a long 5, usually is associated with a solid high trim line in which the board has lots of lift in the front. In such a situation, one seldom even realizes the shape of his or her nose. The board is locked in and stable as hell. Personally, i think the square nose is kind of grimmicky. Not saying it might not work, or add to a board, but i still question its need. Furthermore, whatever function it might add on the tip when locked in, might not make up for the lack of performance it can have when not on the nose. Just a thought. Though i suspect its less grimmicky than the weber performer's hatchet fin.