Wanted: Calvani Bing David Nuuhiwa Lightweight Longboard

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Lackosense, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Lackosense

Lackosense Active Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Not sure if the newer ones were shaped by Calvani, but my guess is they were. Take a look at this one

https://theboardsource.com/product/96-x-23-14-x-3-38-bing-david-nuuhiwa-lightweight-longboard/

obviously not an original '67, its missing the nuuhiwa name in the logo. So my question is who made these reissues? and furthermore does anyone out there have one or know anyone who does? i'd like to get my hands on one.

2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Calvani was making them and then they got phased out right about the time the Lovebird hit.

Racking my crags memory banks...there's a 10' out West I believe somewhere thats mis-labeled as a Nuuhiwa Lightweight Noserider.
    It's a Lightweight. <--- Pretty sure it's red. Killer board if he stuck with the original template. My friend Joe has a '68 that is Magic.

3. Lackosense

Lackosense Active Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    yes the vintage lightweights are magic, i got one in the quiver too :)

4. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    IMO, best LB of that vintage. NR=red logo LW=yellow logo.

5. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Exactly correct on the lams and the comment. There's a reason that Gene used to collect the DNLW boards (see photo). Though this one is sold, it's a great example of a vintage DNLW squaretail:

http://cheater-five.com/products/67_bing_nuu_lt_wt/

Cooper Bing collection.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  6. Lackosense

Lackosense Active Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    @kpd73 great find, it sports the late '68 decals used on the pintail lightweights. Too bad its on the west coast.

7. Lackosense

Lackosense Active Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    @FirstPointEric i pulled the trigger on that orange lightweight on cheaterfive a few months ago. Was able to talk Joe down to a more reasonable price. :)

8. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    That's the one I was remembering, just not red.

Eric, that Gene pic along with the profile shot of the step deck parade and him pig dogging into a little curvy barrel have been with me for a Long time.
    Nice!

9. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

LoS: Do you still have the '67? And yeah, though the safety yellow is a tad on the bright side, it's tasty with the '68 lams.