"WANTED" 1990's Hobie Phil Edwards Model 9.0

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by WoodyT, May 1, 2019.

1. WoodyT

WoodyT Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Sussex, England
    Yep...agree, need to see a few more pictures from all angles.

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Just tell us if you made a connection and whether or not you bought the board. This is the board you wanted all other typing irrelevant. Buy the board then figure out the rest.

deemce and shadydave like this.
  3. WoodyT

WoodyT Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Sussex, England
    Apologies for the suspense! Have been away on a family trip...I have made contact and he did send a couple more full length deck and hull pictures. There is a bit of a serious ding on the back right corner and a couple of white bands across the hull, perhaps where it's been stored on a rack. It maybe the way the board has been photographed, but the mid point does not look as wide as a 9'0" should, also the gap from the fin box to the tail looks longer than you might expect (My brother as a 9'0" and the shape is fairly unique - however could be the camera angle). So I've sent a couple more messages to get a close-up pic of the ding and also a couple of pics of the deck and hull with a tape measure from the nose to tail. He seems reluctant to engage in much of a dialogue - no replies yet to my latest request and I suspect the guy is rather hoping for an easy local cash sale without many 'question's and packaging/courier hassles.

If any Jammers live local to Northfield, Atlantic City and fancy a reconnaissance mission - then any more info / double check 9'0" length / pictures would be much appreciated - Here is the listing https://southjersey.craigslist.org/spo/d/northfield-surfboard-hobie/6891018153.html
    Another option might be to ask a local surf shop to take a look on my behalf...

If the guy gets back to me, I'll let you know....The 'PE Search' continues for now!
    Thanks for all the support.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I live right next to Northfield. I refuse to even start the engine on my truck. Nothing good could come of this I’m 100% sure. Dimensions’ appearance!! SIX pages of this blather. There is no way on God’s green earth that you want the board that you created this thread for. Calling BS on this crap!!!

Croweater likes this.
  5. WoodyT

WoodyT Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Sussex, England
    If I have offended you in anyway, then I'm sorry. Perhaps do not even continue reading...If you choose to read on, then I can assure you that I DO want to find this board. I've been really stoked ever since I rode my brothers 9'0" PE at Easter. Everyday since, I have been looking for this board. I even looked into getting on a flight out yesterday to Northfield to check it out myself (to save you the diesel). However, the additional costs already of a courier to England ($650) plus U.K duty and tax (an additional 23%), means that this $850 board will actually cost me $1,700. A price I'm will to pay for an original PE. However this simply means that I have to be really assured by the seller that this is the real deal. Glad to say, God's green earth is 71% blue - No BS!

SeniorGrom likes this.
  6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Watch that pea under the mattress.....;-)

Just being Devil's Advocate here, but it seems that the board you want is actually... your brother's.

Kind of stating the obvious, but there is absolutely no way of getting another 9 footer, shaped by Phil, that will surf just like that... even if it was the exact same dimensions; the nuances in rocker, rail shape, density and grain of the stringers, weight etc. will make that board a different board, such is the beauty of handshaped surfboards.

So... ask yourself whether you want a board you wish to primarily ride or covet as a PE original? This is not an obtuse question and no-one can tell you the right reasons for wanting to own a board, but I will say this - if you want a board that rides like your brother's, either borrow it a shitload or go get one of our own craftsmen to replicate that board. Guys like Paul Blacker are over half a century deep in hand shaping and finishing world class boards (whilst Blacker used to shape for Ted Spencer and has had the European license to shape Bolts for over thirty years, he is equally adept at shaping all types of longboards) or you can get one of the newer guys to use modern tech to scan and mill one for you.

If you want a PE original and are prepared for it ride a little differently to you brother's, which it will, then just go buy whatever comes up, ride it and see whether you click with it and don't get caught up on the details. If it's not right, you can sell it in a flash... easy.

My money would be on that 9'3" mentioned earlier - we're just talking a few inches here and you could be missing a board that rides even better than that 9 footer. Or your bro may prefer it and swap ya..!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    michael, Zzz, longhairhippie and 3 others like this.
  7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Thank you!:)

Croweater likes this.
  8. Pacis

Pacis Active Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Well, this is still an option

Attached Files:

9. WoodyT

WoodyT Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Sussex, England
    Yep, my brother's board would do it, however he's 5 hours away and that's his favourite board! Agreed, two hand shaped boards, will never be an exact match and thanks for the shaper details. I've got a 9'6" Model T at moment as the primary ride, so wanted to go a bit shorter for the second board. I did have a look at the 9'3" again today, it's mint, with a price tag to match - so may save up the pennies or as you say take a punt on a Craigslist / ebay well used board. See you on the North Shore (of Devon) one day! Cheers for the thoughts.

10. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I do know a fella with a mint 8ft6in PE speedshape, mid 90s. I'll ask him if he'll part with it, but it's unlikely...

I think there are actually a few in the UK, but they don't come up for sale often