Two plus one advice

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JTS, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Hi looking for a bit of advice from the board on a 2 plus 1 I was riding this weekend in good surf
    Board is a Vernon treehugger model basically an egg, 7 foot long 21.5 wide and a 15.25 tail. EPS; epoxy. I really like the board it is a quad with a long single box. Had a couple sessions as a quad and it went well. Tried it as a 2 plus 1 in some head to overhead hollow waves. Much looser, but I did have a little trouble with it sliding out as I dropped in on steep faces and trying to turn quickly, like I can do on a quad
    My question is I have it set up with a 6 in fin and 3.5 sidebites, should I increase the size of the sidebites or move the fin back (it is basically centered) or change to a larger fin? I am sure my technique was also at least partly to blame. Like the feel of the board just trying to get a bit more bite on the steep takeoffs
    My experience with 2 plus 1 has so far been limited to longboards
    Thanks for any help or insight
    Jimi

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    hard to beat the bite of a quad on a steep face...with that said, a 7" fin will make a significant difference in the 2+1 set-up..personally like the Futures Performance LB fin, lotta bite and push.. 20160913_155121.jpg e and push..

3. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks Surfnfish. You are right- quads have great hold in steep faces - think was tying to ride this board too much like a quad. that being said I am first going to bump up the side bites to a 4 inch and slide the fin back another 1/8"
    The single fin I am using is a 6" Futures performance fin, smaller version of the one you have - hesitant to increase fin size since the board is 7'0" figure a 6" plus side fins should be enough area (sides are 11.73 sq in, 20 sq in for single)
    I will let you know
    Jimi

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    571FE266-DB44-4B7F-B6CB-F13092460D75.jpeg 6524A87A-3128-4E11-AC12-EA66E5A723A3.jpeg
    A couple pictures of the board with the 4 inch sidebites
    Jimi

5. jonbiz

jonbiz Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Wilmington NC
  6. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Treehugger (why that name I have no idea?)

jonbiz likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    looking at the pic, fin cluster is fairly tight and tail centric, so not much center fin adjustment without 'locking' that tail down...so suggest another approach to loosen things up while maintaining hold and drive...use the current front quads, and step the rears down a size...when I used to ride a lot of quad mid lengths, had a large box of quad fins...no other design requires more trail and error to nail the fin combo for a particular shape/bottom/rocker..

and no one has done more research on quads than Mckee (Rusty a distant second). Here's his feedback on various fin placements and shapes based on decades of testing...

http://www.mckeesurf.com/?page_id=267

Planktom likes this.
  8. jonbiz

jonbiz Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    How’s it ride?

9. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
  10. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Jon is- I like the board, smooth fast and turns well, trying to fine tune the fin setup. My first Vernor, really impressed with the build quality and the feel of his EPS/epoxy
    Gill, thanks I may go back to the 3.5 sidebites and one of the 7 inch singles I have laying around if this set up doesn’t feel right
    Jimi

jonbiz likes this.