TSJ- Is it worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Jan 1, 2019.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

I agree.

2. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Fully agree. Most of the print publications I've written for in the last ten years have been sold, had their print version axed, or closed up shop entirely. Nothing but well wishes and hope for TSJ to stay around for future generations to come.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Sure Daddy.

4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "I get how LongBoard mag. failed." - This is how it failed, drunk publisher/owner that borrowed and borrowed and never paid back. Ugly scene.

5. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    You got any info on what happened to SLIDE ?

6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    What kind of circulation do you think it had? I even forget who they had for advertisers.
    Never checked out a copy of Pacific Longboarder. Minimal relevance.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Just curious if you don't mind me asking -- how did you go about asking for your compensation? Was it part of your pitch, or did they just specify that they will pay you X amount for an article? I wrote a few pieces for a magazine a while back -- I got paid for the first one, but there was a change in editors for the following two articles, so there was no dinero involved. I enjoyed writing, seeing my stuff in print, and getting some really nice social media feedback... but what the heck.

8. miscreant

May 20, 2016

They have a price that is a per word situation. I didn’t ask for it, rather they stated that is how they run it.

I asked to receive no compensation and instead be allowed to create an ad. The denied that saying they are not accepting any more advertising.

My Surf a Pig piece for slide was compensated with an ad. Gene shot a picture of a Blackboard on this suclupture of a hand. We ran that as a Surf a Pig ad.

As Veterano said, no money in it. I did it for the ego. I’m guessing all do it for that. Otherwise, they do it for coin. If anyone admits they do it for the coin, that’s just nuts. It be like saying you shape surfboards for the coin.

kclibman, PeakMaster and Chilly Willy like this.
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Thanks, perfect. Definitely right about the money - I enjoyed doing it even pro bono (or pro ego?) but my thought was more that if you're doing it for free, people expect more from you, if that makes sense.

10. miscreant

May 20, 2016

It does.