TSJ- Is it worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Jan 1, 2019.

1. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    Anybody else with boxes of extra issues can feel free to store them on my shelves....

2. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Very very curious about your experience here - working on something right now that is in the pitch mode for them, just for fun, money's not a big deal, but interested as to how the editing process went and how pleased you were/weren't with the ultimate result.

3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    You are the sage of surfing... everywhere...maybe even deep space. Please be tolerant of all here that are not as worldly and omniscient of all things surfing as you. We humble ourselves...asshole.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Follow your own path as copulation with TSJ might not be what you seek.

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    that time of the month again?

And no need to represent for others on the forum, you're not qualified, and they reach out to me on their own plenty, and it's all good stuff. Especially their comments about you..lol

6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    ya, "Hell of a Big Swell", Scott Huett called me up, said he was going to publish it, asked me to send a couple of photos, and that was it. Check was actually decent compared to those received from non-surfing mags I've had articles published in.

Gotta think TSJ is on a razor edge...extremely expensive to publish, limited comparative market...imagine they are tightly focused on whatever there criteria is..

ElBrooklyn and miscreant like this.
  7. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    It's just been a bitch trying to find a publication that gives a shit about vintage boards and a story behind one of them, and its journey home, that isn't a WSL-fellating bro brand. TSJ was a likely choice but eh, after spending years as a journalist, not really looking to go about the feature rigamarole more than I have to.

8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

After finishing my Surf a Pig piece for SLIDE , Ryan suggested I write on math and surfboard design.

So I did. 3000 words. I never heard from Ryan though, as that entire SLIDE thing finished the way it did.

It worth mentioning though, my writing for SLIDE was shit too. Micheal Kew must of gone insane fucking with my Surf a Pig piece.

Strangely though, my bit on Jazz the Glass that SLIDE published prior to the Surf a Pig piece was accepted with out edits or revisions.

At any rate I had this giant piece and thought I should pitch it to TSJ. They gave it a read and said they’d give it a go. Then I was put in contact with this person there that was going to be my contact person. We went back and forth for a while. Eventually, I gave them 1000 words and they said that was good. Then I received and email that it wasn’t going to be ran after all.

I was like ... “ all right, thank you for the experience “.

Then a couple months later I received an email that said it was going to be ran.

Then it was published.

I received a couple of copies in English and japanese , and a check for the words.

It was an ego boosting experience.

However, when I look at the time it occupied vs the compensation, it’s pretty ridiculous.

Obviously, it isn’t something I should do for the coin.

It is cool to hear about surfnfish’s experience with the publication though. I figured not everyone would have my experience.

kclibman likes this.
  9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    News flash, there is no money in writing for print publications. Unless you are writing for half a dozen established tomes at the same time, have a web site with paying advertisers and a couple of side freelance jobs internationally.
    It's a labor of love, just like all creative endeavors. You do it because that's what you want to do. Keeping a print publication going in this day and age is like keeping a leaking hulk afloat.
    Every TSJ I've ever picked up has always had at least one article that interested me and was well presented. Can you ever say that about any other surf mag? Just yesterday, post session, standing on the berm with friends talking about mainland Mex adventures during the 70s, Peta was brought up. Of course then Lazaro was referenced as Peta's demise. I asked if anyone remembered the Lazaro TSJ article from years back. Then made a mental note to go back and find it as the photos and first hand account of that spot, the people that surfed it and the dicey prospect of that country then (and now) is so good. TSJ makes up bookmarks in my mind of little niche pieces surf history.
    I wonder if Peak will attack me? Or has he sobered up after his Friday night pickling?

DJR, ElBrooklyn and miscreant like this.
  10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    No. I agree with you V. I have a friend...an older guy that worked for me a few years ago. He owned a business in which he would get magazines started. He knew printers, potential advertisers, distribution channels ...the whole thing. Someone with an idea and money would hire him to make their concept of a magazine reality. He made his money selling his business. That was in the 80s. I can see how the internet, streaming media, etc... can kill a magazine. It really does have to fill a major niche. It's tough to argue that TSJ doesn't fill a major niche. In hindsight, I get how LongBoard mag. failed. I liked it but was disturbed by it's spotty delivery...which now I realize was because it was in it's death throes.

I like TSJ. Perhaps I'm projecting to much of my expectation from LongBoard on TSJ, to the extent I desire almost exclusive longboard content and TSJ is a mixed bag there. I think it will all be ok and...TSJ is getting $68/year from my son-in-law. I truly hope they have a healthy balance sheet snd hang out for awhile .

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019