TSJ- Is it worth the $$?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by PeakMaster, Jan 1, 2019.

1. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I receive a yearly subscription to TSJ as a Christmas gift from my daughter and son-in-law. He surfs so I get the idea of the gift from them. No one can argue it's a pricey publication...$68 for 6 issues if I recall the renewal notice.
    I enjoy some issues, parts of some issues and some are so-so in content. What do you folks think of it?

davey, Dawnpatrol and SeniorGrom like this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I enjoy it. Don’t subscribe so I pay even more per issue when I pick one up locally. Always things of interest in there for me but I’m not frothing to get one every other month.

3. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    I like it. The quality of the photos and articles, I think, justifies the sporadic pricey publication. Also, makes for a pleasant toilet read.

Dawnpatrol and PeakMaster like this.
  4. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Yes. There are several copies in magazine baskets next to every can.

walkingtheplank likes this.
  5. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    A PSA, I have found with age that using the bathroom as a library can be detrimental to your physical well being. Just a HEAD’S up ;)

dingdong likes this.
  6. Knots

Knots Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    USA Southern New Jersey
    Being an east coast surfer I found that, especially in winter, that I have more opportunities to read than surf. The Journal has been a great source for all things surf related. Photos, biographies, articles, board design, and history. I've enjoyed traveling and coming upon places, people and boards that I have come upon previously within the pages of the Journal. For myself, they've always been worth every penny. Subscriber since 2001.
    Aloha
    PS: I never throw mine out so the issue of late is where to put them all. ;)

DJR likes this.
  7. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Try prune juice! Especially if your over 65!

Lackosense likes this.
  8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Peak, here's my thoughts from a wandering mind. TSJ is perhaps the finest publication out there. And yes, some articles in it I can forgo. Is it worth it? A loaded question. I do not know the cost of producing the publication nor profits made but that aside it is well worth it if you have the disposable income. I subscribed from day #1 (1992; Volume One) through 2013, Volume 21. Being retired and on a fixed income I could no longer afford it but I do miss the anticipation of seeing it in my mail box but not necessarily having it. Call it old age but I'd rather go to the Barnes and Noble bookstore and skim to the back of TSJ for the periodic Obit.

9. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I’m a subscriber and very much enjoy seeing that big white envelope in the mailbox. Totally worth the $6 a month to me. I’m not always into everything in there (a little heavy on the surf photog profiles), but the gems balance that out. Having back issues on hand is fun too, when you want something tactile to read that’s surf related and have exhausted other options.

Ps. It was nice to finally know one of the “spin the globe” features in the latest issue - score one for RI

10. PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    There's a semi surf shop near us. It sells a lot of clothing, Uggs, Rainbow, etc... but he carries Christenson longboards too. Anyway, they own another shop next door that they use to clearance older or slow moving inventory. You can score some nice stuff on the cheap especially the weekend after Labor day. I walked in a few years back and he had a stack of older TSJs ....something like $10 for 8 of them. I bought all of them. After the Longboarder mag debacle, I kind of like it. Don't know why he has to have it printed in China. Seems a bit greedy to me. But the content is there...usually.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019