Tri Fin Eggs

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by thomas, Feb 22, 2018.

1. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Anybody like tri fin eggs in bigger lengths, like 8'6 - 9'2 ish...? I know Skip likes to do the tri fins in bigger boards...I've never had one, only singles and 2+1's...I had a 7'8 Skip tri egg that was only of the best boards I'd ever had, but I just don't surf boards that short anymore...thoughts?

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    experimented for past 10 years with a dozen customs between 7'8 and 9'4, using both thruster and 2+1 configs.

thrusters = higher performance, more acute angle of attack off the top and bottom , advantages start to disappear as the rail gets longer until it has no advantage unless on a big wave gun with narrower tail and lotta rocker for max hold.
    Like the thruster (actually like 5 fin setups best for different conditions) on boards under 8'

2+1 = longer the rail, the longer the drive line, the longer primary fin offers more forward trim control, the sidebites provide extra bite on rail or in the pocket.
    Like the 2+1 best on boards over 8'.

A shaper buddy with an extensive collection of world class boards, calls the used 9'6 2+1 Skip Frye he bought from Bird's Shed the best turning, funnest board to ride among his collection.

So we put it up on the shaping stands and worked it over with flat edge, tape and jig rocker to understand its mojo.

Single forward slot concave to flat to double tail concave..so entry rocker up front bi-sected by the slot rocker, flat spot in the middle, rear concaves with plenty of rolled V bi-secting the generous tail rocker = straighter water flow through the bottom, with ample rail rocker for turning. Primary fin for drive, side fins for + hold when on rail at a more acute angle of attack.

The Frye also had a really interesting mid board rail, with a small bevel installed between the center of the roll and the bottom edge..have to think it was for maintaining speed when the board was on rail going through a turn. The more we looked at that board the more we were impressed with all the subtle design elements that were so well tied together = #realmastershaper

There is a specific use of tri fin's on the really long, wide tail glider types. These boards don't turn as much as bank, so the smaller fin tri fins are adequate for the shallower angle of attack, and help with overall board speed by reducing total fin area.

Signed,
    sick with flu, 30 degrees out, on second cup of French Roast, putting off doing our taxes, bored outta my mind..

Planktom, Dawnpatrol, poidog and 2 others like this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Waiting to see what Malcom comes up with on an 8’2” CB 5 fin egg I ordered. Learned he went to Australia before getting it shaped. Maybe in April........my first bonzer.

bonzer, sightpoint, deemce and 3 others like this.
  4. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    Malcom made me a beauty, 7'10. Positioning of the rear fin so critical..1/4" behind the back sides..liked it plenty, never fell in love with it, turned it over to a SF OB surfer who calls it best board he has ever owned..different strokes..

5. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    Might want to inquire with Malcolm about an e-wing for that egg. Some of the bonzer guys swear by them

bonzer likes this.
  6. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Good info...that bevel sounds like a tucked under edge for release...

7. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    different then the typical bevel edge rail which tucks into the bottom edge..Skip's very narrow, ran only through middle section of board with rail curve above and below it..we positioned the board, imagining typical turn angle, and that band would be at max contact the apex of the turn, where drive, not release, is key...

just another subtly on a board the owner, who is a barrel guru, calls THE magic board among an extensive quiver including Andreins, Christensons, Brewers, Hess's, etc etc..

When we got done working that board over, it became clear why folks pay the $$$ for his boards... has little to do with the hours he spends on them now, their paying for the time he spent brewing his particular mojo..

8. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    I’ve never heard anyone explain Skip’s rail profile in such detail. What I can say is this, it works & it works really well. I have 2 Skip eggs, a 8’3 tri & a 9’0 singlefin. The rails seems to have 3 distinct profiles in the entry, mid-board, & tail. As the rail transitions, the bottom contours transitions as well.
    I can’t imagine the skill set required to accomplish this in a smooth symmetrical fashion.
    Absolute legend.

9. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    How do you like the 9'0 single fin egg??? A friend of mine has a couple of Frye's and he swears you can just put the board on the water and it moves by itself...Magic!

deemce and DKNJ like this.
  10. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Also, remember those little winglets he was putting on his fishes? Pretty cool...