Traveling under "Real ID" rules

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dingpatch, Sep 7, 2017.

  1. dingpatch

    dingpatch Well-Known Member

    Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Your upcoming surf trip might be a bummer, , ,

    Half the states' drivers licenses are operating under "extensions" that expire 1/22/2018. On that date you will not be able to board an aircraft without another, approved, form of ID. A California drivers license will not work!

    Non-compliant states have had plenty of time to comply since 2005.

    And yes, it was somewhat a pain-in-the-A here in Florida; it seemed to be easier getting a Passport.

    Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.

    The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.

    Each U.S. citizen renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:

    Primary Identification
    An Original or Certified of One of the Following Primary Identication Documents
    • Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
    • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
    • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561
    Note: When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.

    Proof of Social Security Number
    • Social Security Card
    • W-2 form
    • Pay check
    • SSA-1099
    • Any 1099
    If you Do NOT have a Social Security Number:
    If you do not have a social security number, you must bring a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating that you were never issued one. In addition, you will need to present at least one proof of ID from the following list:
    • A driver license from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
    • School record stating date of birth, which must contain the registrar’s signature.
    • Transcript of the birth record filed with a public officer charged with the duty of recording certificates.
    • Baptism certificate, which shows date of birth and the place of baptism.
    • Family Bible record or birth announcement in a baby book
    • An insurance policy on the customer’s life which has been in force for at least two years and has the month, day and year of birth.
    • United States military or military dependent identification card.
    • An identification card from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
    • Florida license record or identification card record.
    • Selective Service Registration (Draft Card).
    • Florida Vehicle Registration certificate (HSMV 83399, owner’s copy) obtained from the tax collector’s office where the customer’s vehicle was registered, Florida, or out-of-state registration certificate, if name and date of birth are shown.
    • Receipt copy of your last Florida driver license issuance.
    • Immigration form I-571.
    • Federal form DD-214 (military record).
    • Marriage certificate.
    • Court order, which includes legal name.
    • A Florida voter registration card, which was issued at least 3 months previously.
    • Parent consent form of minor, signed by the parent or legal guardian
    • Government issued out-of-country passport, driver license, or identification card
    • Concealed Weapons Permit
    2 Proofs of Residential Address
    Gather TWO of the following documents showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)
    • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
    • Florida Voter Registration Card
    • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
    • Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
    • A statement from a parent, step-parent or legal guardian of an applicant. The parent or guardian must reside at the same residence address, accompany the applicant and present "Proof of Residence Address"
    • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
    • Automobile Payment Booklet
    • Selective Service Card
    • Medical or health card with address listed
    • Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
    • Current automobile insurance policy or bill
    • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
    • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
    • W-2 form or 1099 form
    • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
    • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address
    • Utility bills, not more than two months old
    • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
    • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
    • Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Lackosense likes this.
  2. Dawnpatrol

    Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

    May 7, 2006
    Thanks DP for the PSA. I forgot all about this until you reminded me. Last minute at our local DMV would be a nightmare!
  3. Makawaosurfer93

    Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

    Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    NJ will not put your full middle name, but rather only puts the middle initial. This is one of the items referenced when the feds have said that states are not complying. I have a passport, so will be fine, many will not.
  4. Human

    Human Active Member

    Nov 20, 2016
    In my experience here on the west coast, one of these has been very handy:

  5. dingpatch

    dingpatch Well-Known Member

    Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Hmmmm, , , , but, I would have understood that passport "cards" are not acceptable for air and shipborne travel?
  6. DownSouthSlidah

    DownSouthSlidah Member

    Oct 30, 2007
    Good lord, that's like living in Mother Russia back in the good old Nikita days. Do we get a red arm band to go with this bucket of shit? Can't wait to be stopped walking to a restaurant... "Halt! Your papers!"

    My "residential" address is my office because I hate getting mail at home - mostly the junk mail. This way my receptionist goes through it. DMV and the post office didn't seem to care at all. Hopefully, that won't cause any issues.
  7. Human

    Human Active Member

    Nov 20, 2016
    You are now [not so] free to move about the county.

    Looks like it's passport time for domestic flights.
  8. dingpatch

    dingpatch Well-Known Member

    Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Why you might need a passport card to travel domestically in 2018
    [​IMG] Brittany Jones-Cooper 8 hours ago
    A TSA agent checks an ID under a Fraud Fighter machine at LAX. (Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times)
    Everyone knows that you need a boarding pass and driver’s license to pass airport security. It’s always been this way, but next year, some travelers may also need a passport card.

    Starting on Jan. 22, 2018, travelers from a handful of states may have to show an alternate ID to Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents at the airport. This is because the REAL ID Act, which was passed by Congress in 2005, will go into effect.

    Essentially, this act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses (and ID cards), and prohibits the TSA from accepting cards that don’t meet the standards. Several states have requested extensions to become compliant, many of which expired on Oct. 10. New extensions may be granted, but for now, the grace period for states ends on Jan. 22.

    States that are compliant with the REAL ID Act.
    Currently, only 26 states are fully compliant, so residents of those areas can continue to use their state-issued driver’s license when passing through airport security. The remaining states, including New York, California, Illinois and Louisiana, are currently under review. This means that they may be granted an extension and given more time to become compliant. Or it could mean that residents of these states will have to use an alternative form of ID when flying in 2018.

    Alternative forms of ID
    The easiest back-up ID option is your passport. The problem, is that only 36% of Americans have a valid passport, according to the U.S. Department of State.

    At $135, passports can be expensive and unnecessary, especially if you have no desire to travel internationally. In this case, a passport card may make the most sense. For starters, it’s cheaper. First-time adult applicants can get one for $55, and the cost is $40 for children. The card is valid for 10 years (5 years if you’re 16 or younger), after which a renewal will cost $30.

    Another perk of a passport card that makes it better than a license is that it allows for some international travel. Cardholders can use the wallet-sized document to re-enter the U.S. at border-crossings or ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.

    The TSA has a full list of all identification that will be accepted, but some of the more popular alternatives include:

    • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
    • U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
    • Permanent resident card
    • Border crossing card
    • DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
    Time is of the essence
    It’s unclear if any states will be granted an extension, so if your state isn’t currently compliant, it’s time to consider some other options. A passport can take four to six weeks to arrive, while a passport card can take up to three weeks. Applying now means shorter wait times, compared with next year when procrastinators will be looking for new IDs before their spring trips.

    Even if your state does get an extension, it doesn’t hurt to just get it out of the way. Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, you can only use a REAL ID compliant driver’s license or another acceptable form of identification for domestic air travel.

    Article was edited to clarify that passport cards can only be used at border-crossings or ports-of-entry.
  9. Dawnpatrol

    Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

    May 7, 2006
    Just got my "Enhanced DL" a few weeks ago. I am now free to move about the cabin! BTW, those States like mine, WA, have been given an extended grace period until September 2018. For me it was no big to go to the DMV and get an enhanced DL but they dinged me some $$$$. Asked the guy if I could get a senior rate for the document. He told me if I can afford to travel I could afford the license. Nice! :(
  10. applekat

    applekat Well-Known Member

    Jul 31, 2007

Share This Page