Travel worthy construction

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by changeissimple, Feb 11, 2018.

1. changeissimple

changeissimple Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Just got back from a tropical surf trip with waves everyday in the head high range. I traveled with 3 boards in my bag - i lucked out because Jet Blue allows 1 board per bag but didn't inspect my 6'6" coffin bag that clearly had more than one surfboard. Although super fun to have three great boards with me for the changing conditions and different waves. I became increasingly interested in finding a board technology that was fun to ride and there was a VERY tiny chance it would snap in good surf. The only time I ever traveled with one board I snapped it on a heavy low tide reef and spent the rest of my time using shit boards. This is the reason I bring multiples now. I feel like I can find a good versatile shape for my style and waves I frequent but unsure on the technology side of things because I have only ever had standard poly boards. In addition to that - my buddy who was just with me brought one board - his 10 year old Aviso - Lost Round Nose Fish. It is bomb proof and a blast to ride in almost everything. He wraps a towel around the nose and his wetsuit top around the tail and throws it in a day bag. I was insanely jealous as I spent an hour wrapping up my 3 boards and as I lugged them through airports. I did a bit of searching for an aviso but it looks like you can't find any for sale as they went out of biz a number of years ago. Anyone have any advice on other good technologies that feel good underfoot but can handle hollow surf and airline baggage tosses?

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I don’t surf those waves of consequence and don’t travel much. The only advice I have was mentioned in another thread. “Epoxy”!

Tenfooter likes this.
  3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Work with a good custom shaper who has a connection with a primo glasser.

Have the board shaped from a US Blanks poly blank with a 3/16" laminate ply stringer.

Have the glasser use epoxy resin with S cloth - what Rusty and a whole lot of other builders use for their pro travel boards, step-ups and semi's - the epoxy resin with S cloth creates a much more flexible (standard e glass more rigid, fibers snap much easier) and shatter resistant shell.

Glass the bottom with 6oz, top 6/4, request the glasser remove/squeegee all excess resin during application, and the sander use a light touch (sanders getting paid per board tend to speed sand, often weakening glass jobs by over sanding - if you can see more of the weave at the bottom tail lap, it's been over sanded).

This combo will create a hella strong and reasonably light board that will bounce, not break.

4. MDM

MDM Active Member

Dec 12, 2011
    USA New Hampshire
    Wonder if those Manny Carbon lites are tuff?

5. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    Surfnfish likes this.
  6. changeissimple

changeissimple Member

Dec 18, 2014
    That would be cool. I took with me a 5'0" lis style fish and a 5'3" performance twin egg. I would love to turn those into bisects. Imagine rolling up to the airport with a regular suitcase with two bisects in it! That would be soo cool! Beating the system!

7. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    91BC4567-3BC9-4211-B6BE-3066884C1F2D.png DF5BEDAA-FE6A-44F1-9A92-60F75232C433.png 0FA38567-F012-4C89-9B39-56FBC50253C2.png Nine lights way more durable than any poly board and same weight I can’t say enough good about them and jeff everything in house by his hands only true craftsman.