Training for the Dads

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 14, 2018.

1. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Thanks guys. This is all good.

2. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Full transparency ... my approach is a bit old school. There may be better, more efficient methods out there.

3. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Thanks for the inspiration. I fired up
    My concept 2 rower this am for a few meters.

4. jgilliga90

jgilliga90 New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I use a Total Gym like this [​IMG] There are a bunch on CL. I placed milk crates under each end and replace the handles by the pulleys (left side of picture) with swimming paddles like these [​IMG] (you have to run some string through the holes and attach the paddles to where the handles attach to the cables). Then you can adjust the incline of the machine to vary the resistance and go for endurance or interval-type training. Putting the machine on milk crates or some other elevated surface prevents your hands from hitting the ground at the bottom of the stroke. It's not perfect, but I've definitely noticed an improvement in my paddling stamina.

Tenfooter and deemce like this.
  5. zippy

zippy Member

Mar 24, 2008
    USA New Jersey
    Just noticed this thread and agree that any excercize is good! Just happens that I picked up a concept 2 rower off CL last week and it’s been great getting up a little earlier before work and doing some interval training with some good tunes on.
    Having been a smoker for more than 20yrs, my lungs really need the cardio and it’s a great full body workout IMO. I’ve been smoke free for about 6 or 7yrs now. Had to quit before they quit me.
    I just want to be able to keep surfing

longhairhippie and Bighouse like this.
  6. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Never stop running.
    I do that and also rowing on a good machine ( which there's only one: concept two)
    I know is expensive, but it is worth it
    get it used, or even at the factory they sell the used ones after the Boston regattas.
    I tried the other trainers, like total gym and so on, and they are crap, good for nothing.
    With the rower, you don't need much
    if you can do two series of 15 min each day, 3 /week, in a month you'll feel the difference

michael likes this.
  7. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Rower would be ideal. Paying for it: not so much. Will keep an eye on CL.

8. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ

Most pools open at 5am for free swim. I have to tell you when i leave in the morning not even my dogs wake up. Nobody cares what you do at THAT time.

9. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Just called a gym around the corner from my house and they’ve got that rower. Going to start a regiment ASAP.

Not far into fatherhood and my guts already feeling it.

10. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The long-term goal is getting your kid to surf. My 10-year-old daughter now forces me to paddle my butt off several times a week just to keep up. =^)

Tenfooter likes this.