Training for the Dads

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 14, 2018.

1. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    The currrent yesterday in NJ was ripping and this topic has been on my mind:

We’ve got two kids at home and my sessions are spaced out a bit more thanks to their schedule. I’m cool with it and still get to surf. My opportunities to exercise are limited to like an hour window before the kids get up in the a.m. and I usually run which doesn’t help much with paddling. Pool isn’t really an option with these circumstances but I want something that I can do to have the endurance and strength for when things get good.

Any reccomedations for something to help with this? I know there’s a ton of stuff out there but with limited time, I want to keep it simple, endurance/paddle specific but a little more than just a ton of pushups. There are people way fitter and smarter than me on here, so I thought I’d throw it out there.

DKNJ likes this.
  2. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    I like complexes and circuits. Pick a few exercises, rotate between them without stopping.

I've also grown a lot of love for skipping rope and mixing in body weigh exercises. 2 min of rope, then a 1 minute "off" where you try to hit 5-10 pull ups, 10-20 push ups, and maybe some sit ups. Then you keep going.

Also, maybe expensive, but if you have the space or access to it, row machine is extremely challenging. A heavy bag is also nice, but all that insane punching in the am might wake the kids up too early. :D

3. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Good stuff...that’s what I was looking for...thanks!

Clomics likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    [QUOTE="Clomics, post: 129217, member: 1342"
    I've also grown a lot of love for skipping rope :D[/QUOTE]

highly recommend skipping rope, my go to for decades, starting when I was a young father myself..pick up a quality unit with ball bearing handles, watch some technique video's and start skipping those rounds..nothing else will take you from aerobic to anaerobic so quickly, will give you hella endurance..throw in push up sets, crunches, weights/power bands between rounds, non-stop, no rest breaks...and better have a shower handy..

Clomics likes this.
  5. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Instead of a rowing machine buy a $29 resistance band.

ThinTheHerd likes this.
  6. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Things will change when your kids are able to paddle out with you. There will be times when you won't be getting the best waves, but the waves you share will last a lifetime.

John

ThinTheHerd and Tenfooter like this.
  7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Find a Concept II rower used on Craigslist....or a decent quality knockoff. Quiet and efficient. That and a 100 pushups along with however you like to run mixed in and you'll be good2go.

houseofsuffering likes this.
  8. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    All of the above is good advice.
    Rope, rowing, running are all good.
    Add yoga (Brian Kest had Power Yoga 1,2,3 on youtube, which I like, but tons of options)
    Kettlebells are good for circuits and give you endless movements - hit me up if want some movement or other advice there (weight to get, etc).
    Push/Pull up and dips.
    The other thing I like - deadlifts but doesn't sound like that will work.
    The old school Airdyne bikes are great too if you can find one used... it has the arms that move back and forth.

houseofsuffering likes this.
  9. ac95

ac95 Active Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    Body weight squats on the Bosu ball works your legs and really engages your core. Slow and proper form. Hold the last rep for 10 seconds. Bosu ball offers complete body weight training options

RePete and houseofsuffering like this.