Track top

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Surfviking

Surfviking New Member

Feb 3, 2019
    Oceanside
    It’s not difficult if you peel it slowly. Will work better if you heat it before hand. If any residue is left spray some goo gone or contact cleaner.

GearNut likes this.
  2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I know some folk have had success with a hairdryer and lots of patience

3. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    You can get a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight. That and some adhesive remover a few razor blades.
    I have remover the deck pad on a old SUP I bought.
    Razor around all the edges. Spray adhesive remover into the openings. Use heat gun over the whole section you are removing. You will see some of the pad bubble up. Now use the razor blade and pull on the pad. I found that useing some sheet metal vice grips to pull the pad up work well. Take it slow keep useing the remover and heat gun. Then razor and pull. Once the pad is off use remover and Scotchbright pad to get the rest of the glue off. You may have to wet sand and buff if you want to make it all pretty.
    Hint, keep the heat gun moving or you might creat a delam in the deck.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  4. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Super thin wire like a high E from a guitar works really well after applying heat. There's less chance of scratching the board compared to a razor blade. Wrap each end around a pencil or something similar so you have leverage.

Dawnpatrol, Planktom, Jaimo and 3 others like this.
  5. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    sweet looking board otherwise Danny

6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Cheers John.
    Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions
    Trying to negotiate a price that make the worth the trouble of removing the pads. So far the seller doesnt have much wiggle room in the price. Its also a bit of a mystery of what is underneath- I want to think it's maybe preserved the deck but who knows.

7. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Jon at Board Source typically has similarly sized and similar condition gliders for around $100 more than this on average. I feel like for the time and hassle, that kinda thing might be worth it, but that's just me.

8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Thanks, having a comp helps for sure. my complication is that I'm negotiating from 3 time zones away. This puts me in a position of somewhat blind trust regarding statements about the condition. If this were from Jon or someone I know here i would have pulled the trigger already.

9. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I would pass to be honest. That isn't a smoking price and there are too many what ifs underneath that track pad. Gliders pop up in California very often and there are a lot better deals out there too. Just my opinion.

10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    yep, agreed.