Tortola 1980's

Discussion in 'Photograhy and Video' started by Roadmaster, May 28, 2018.

1. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    recently scanned vintage snap shots, I took in Tortola apple bay.jpg Tortola.jpg

JMJackFish and Lackosense like this.
  2. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    That first pic carrot bay?
    Looks like how I remember the reef behind the Boomba Shack.

3. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    the photo of the wave and surfer is at Apple Bay, where Bomba's Shack was located, Little Carrot bay was just up the road followed by Great Carrot Bay. The overview shot is Josiah's Bay

4. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    That’s right. Been a few years since I’ve been down there. Stayed at Sebastian’s in apple bay a few nights last time I was there. Was able to get a great day out behind the bomba shack and a few waves over at long bay too.
    What a beautiful place to surf.

B0977BFD-AAB7-477F-B2AD-EE35553586B8.jpeg E68DA813-8F0A-40F0-84F5-4F5EEEE68940.jpeg

5. longboardmaster

longboardmaster Administrator Staff Member

Feb 14, 2004
    Recall a night at Bomba's sampling Bomba's Punch, during a full moon party.

JMJackFish likes this.
  6. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I believe there were some mushrooms in the punch

Cootens Bay, long paddle but only me and a friend out

img034.jpg

7. longboardmaster

longboardmaster Administrator Staff Member

Feb 14, 2004
    Nice left.. how much water over the reef?

Bomba's Punch was basically a large jug filled with dark rum and a lot of shrooms. They'd pour it over a cup of fruit juices. During a full moon, women with "tits out" drank free.

8. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Cootens bottom was mellow never worried about hitting the reef. We paddled down from Josiah's Bay, sometimes with just the boards, sometimes with a small backpack with water and food for a longer stay. The reef was very shallow and you had to walk a ways, if you wanted to get to the beach in front of the break, lots of urchins in the nooks and crannies of the reef. Easy to not step on them if you were careful. On a flat day I did hike down from the road, where I took this photo and got to the bottom after a long tough hike, the hike back up took some time. I followed a dry stream bed most of the way, I am sure it only has water during the rare rain storms. You would not want to hike down for a day surf but I did see old camp sites, very remote feeling little valley, some old ruins too at the bottom.

9. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Favorite place on earth, scored it on the March 2008 swell with 4 buddies on a Bertram 26. Surfed huge Cane Garden (channel closing out) and overhead Yacht Harbor over at Virgen Gorda. Will try to find the photos and post them.

10. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Very nice! Cane Garden sure is a fine wave, surfed it a lot but never saw the channel close out. Surfed the west end of Anegada a few times.