Top Five Longboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2007.

1. apexman

apexman Member

Nov 16, 2016
    San Clemente CA
    I surf head high and under waves mostly at San-O and occasionally Doheny.

Bing California Pintail 9ft4in
    Hands down my favorite. It turns well, trims nice and fast will nose ride! It just feels right for me under my feet. Had it in overhead and ankle high. always puts a smile on my face.

Bing Pintail Lightweight 9ft.
    Ride this some and love it but my wife is on it most days!

Anderson custom 10Ft
    very similar to a Marshall Bros. but wider. Catches anything and turns well.
    I have a 9ft2in Marshall Bros. but prefer this one most days.

Bing Gold Standard 9Ft8in
    Picked this one up as a beater but it is a great board and used on shoulder high or smaller.

Mitsven Egg 8ft. Picked this up for fun and it goes in most anything. Easy to ride and hope to get on it more soon.

2. Walnuts

Walnuts New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Long Beach, NY
    Can we bring this back. And see what people are riding now.

Gundapickle and JMJackFish like this.
  3. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    Copperfish Hornet is still my favorite board by far and can handle most conditions. I have a 9’4 and 9’6

9’7 Jose Barahona noserider that I acquired a few years ago is probably the best chest high and under log I’ve ridden or owned and I’ve had or used them from everyone. Love this thing

4. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Yesterday and today I rode a wavestorm
    Maui and also north shore
    Now I know why people love them
    I promised I would never ride one
    After two hours on them
    I went to Costco and got a brand new 8’ with Rasta colors

5. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Once you ride one you're hooked I reckon. Good for you..

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Not sure I would pick all longboards for a top 5 -- I've ridden a good amount of longboards but maybe not enough to come up with a definitive top 5. I do feel like I've dialed in my quiver pretty nicely for my surfing style, so here's what I ride:
    • 9'6" Bing Trimulux - everyday driver
    • 9'6" Phillips Pig - when I'm feeling like more of a classic glide, if there's strong offshore wind, or sometimes when it's a little better groundswell
    • v.Bowls - 8'4" when it's smaller but still juicy, 7'4" when there's more size/juice/steepness
    • 5'10" Twin keel fish (Basic Element / Larmo) - trying to get back into riding this one. It can be pretty fun on days where it's peaky or maybe not ideal for longboards.
    • A boogie - any given summer afternoon where the south wind is howling, or days where it's big northeast slop. I can't tell you how many fun sessions I've salvaged during those days that would have been not at all worth surfing. I especially love those horrible NE days in the summer when the water's warm, and the bigger and sloppier the better.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  7. Poseidon

Poseidon Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Moro Bay
    • The one that makes you smile the most
    In no particular order.

8. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    A5D60680-95DC-4DC2-901A-49E8DA98712F.jpeg 370C3DE3-7033-43AA-A401-6D4E21390498.jpeg Also I rediscover the love for the beaten , trashy , un- loved boards
    I bought this one for $ 10 bucks
    Yes
    Diez dólares
    Was in a backyard for who knows how long

Delam on deck
    Busted open nose, open tail
    Ten to twenty open dings
    I spent three hours at night to bring it back to life

And let me tell you
    After riding it for the whole day at Haleiwa in chest high , I am Seriously thinking all over again
    Fuck those thousand dollars boards !!
    All those fancy perfectly shaped dedicated noseriders
    Fuck those collectors -unique- one of a kind logs
    This board gave me so much pleasure
    And who knows her history ?
    Who cares ?
    It was a 10’ 02”
    2 +1, but I took the fcs and put a 9 inch snap on single fin
    No leash
    I never had so much in return
    And when I’m back
    She’ll be waiting for me

9. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Shittyrainyday outside guess I trip with ya on memory lane. I'm not a "best is best" "top 10" kind of person so i'll say most "influential."

Chronologically:
    10'2" Olympic Speed shape - my 1st longboard Bob English design Shaped by Phil Castagnola. This was a sleek pinched rail speed machine. It was made for bigger cliffs days but was good to go in anything from ankle slappers to ..well i nerver found the top end of the board just what I was will to venture out in with a 30lb board. I think a thumping head high day at the stump jetty in O.B. was when I found my limit. It was better suited for places like the Cliffs, Swami's and P>B point

9'5" Cooperfish Chris Vail NR - my 1st real Contemporary Old School NR - pinched rails, generous concave, flat a.f., tail kicked and big ass fin on the tail. Insane board (one I wish I still had)Challenge/Rewarding when surfed properly. Opened my mind to Gene's boards and a long tutelage under the influence of his designs that continues to today.

12' Andreini Hippie Pin - next level - borderline "too much" board for me. Mind expanding glide. Actually the 11' "glider" Marc shaped me prior to this acquisition lead me to this board through friendship/ mutual interest with Big Steve. Eventually I had Marc make me a custom 12'er ( again never should have let go) that was less of a rocket but still a freak. I've scaled back the length to fit my approach and the waves I ride but, gliders are still a major part of my quiver. imo >10' glider style board really need good chest to headhigh waves to come into their own. I currently ( while I still am physically able to) want to surf my smaller boards on these days so I dialed back the length some to better suit thigh to chest high days.

9'5" Dano Los Creeper - Worm was rocking this shape. She is one of my favorite surfers so I figured I wanted some of that koolaid. Obviously, we all know there is an arrow and there is an archer but to say that I found this shape/shaper looking at pictures on the internets would be total b.s. Parallel to this I had been riding a Dano Jared Mell Model that I liked but it had more of a beachbreak feel than I wanted. Anyhow, much to my stoke this turned out to be "one of those boards" that I just clicked from the first wave. I had previously owned a 9'6 square tail version both were exceptional daily driver/do everything well boards. I feel like I preferred the pointed round tail version best but both were exceptional riders. I regret letting this one go. If/when I reup I'd go with a tad more length.

9'7" Wayne Rich 1st Point Spector and Stepdeck "Hot Dog" -When Gene closed up shop I was pointed to Wayno by einsteinrockefeller and aslbuck who had been tuned into his shapes for some time. The 1st Point is his consummate NR borrowing influence from classic Rick and Bing. This is another board that delivers on expectations and then some :). While having solid NR dna at its core it pushes the concept forward making for a board that noserides well in less than perfect condition. All said and done it is one of the funnest noserider type board I've ever ridden. The 9'7" Stepdeck was a one-off creation that Wayne an I discussed over several phone conversations. I had ridden a few Sam-esque and other Australia 1967/68 inspired shapes. I wanted him take this into consideration and to blend in some slightly "piggy" curve behind center to give a little more roll and flow out of turns. Some time these kind of impulsive requests can result in Frankenboards but not in Wayno's world, this board is all-time.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Lackosense, michael and JMJackFish like this.
  10. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I might have a beater kicking around I can trade you for that Malibu Foil you have collecting dust. :cool: