Thermolution Heated Wetsuit Vest

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    After seeing the pics of guys with the icicle balls on the east coast during the latest freeze cycle, thought I would pass on some direct user feedback. When I moved up to Oregon from Half Moon Bay 12 years ago, these elder bones had a hard time in local winter conditions, so went through a series of heated vests trying to find one that really worked.

After going through the other brands, which are comparatively b.s, found and went with the Thermolution, which is the real deal. In our coldest conditions, cannot surf in this vest with the lowest setting on continuously, have to cycle it off and on otherwise I begin to feel like a steamed lobster.

These are built bulletproot, unlike the other cheesy brands, and are surprisingly comfortable. Tend to run a bit large so go down a size from what you would think. Pricey at $390, can find them on sale occasionally with a $100 off, which they are currently running at HeatedWestsuits.com, the licensee who sells them online. The other brands I tried worked piss poor, none lasted over a year, my Thermolution is on year 4 and going strong.

http://www.thermalution.com/Product_water_surf.html

https://couponvario.com/online-coupons/promo-codes-for/heatedwetsuits.com#coupon_id_2938

2. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    How's the shoulder Lance. Tomorrows gonna be good. You getting in the water these days?

3. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    just about ready, still have some more laps to churn out in the pool..have a new lightweight 9'6 epoxy 'rehab' cruiser ready to go..end of month will be heading south, surf my way down to SoCal, hang a bit, surf back up..

Wade In The Waves likes this.
  4. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Best of luck to you. Who'd you go with for your 9'6 epoxy 'rehab' cruiser? Pics?

5. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    Art Coyler at North Pacific..9'6 x 22 3/4 RP 2+1..relaxed frontal rocker with HP tail rocker = plenty of glide and easy to turn
    [​IMG]

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Thanks for posting this. I have considered a heated vest for the cold months here... January, February, March usually. Would you say that it's the difference between a 5/4 and a 4/3, or are we talking other worldly warmer? I would love something that will get me out on those crappy days (its been crappy here for the past two months, minus Christmas Eve) when I'm not willing to bear the double burden of terrible surf and cold.

I think my wife will be happy with the expense if it gets be back in the water. The dry spells just kill me as I get older.

7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I like the idea of this thing. The add tells everything you need to know but where to buy one and how much?

8. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    much more then a 1 mm difference..I'll reserve other worldly for Indo, where water and air temps can both be 80 degrees, and there is literally no temp difference going into the water...that's friggin otherworldly..lol

the few times I tried putting this thing on Hi, it roasted me, uncomfortably hot. In the coldest day I ever used it, snow on the ground, 46 degree water and 30 degree air, under a 5/4, could not leave it on Low constantly, had to turn it off periodically because my back got too warm. And when cycling it to off for a bit, would realize just how warm it was keeping me.

This link goes to the discount coupon code, then hit the Heatedwetsuits.com tab below, takes you to the site. With the discount, under $300.

https://couponvario.com/online-coupons/promo-codes-for/heatedwetsuits.com#coupon_id_2938

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Sorry for all the questions, but does the core body heat transfer effectively to hands and feet?

Indo and Hawaii are two places I've had that air and water temp equivalency... sometimes you're not sure what parts of you are actually in the water. Now, one could argue that there's a similar conjuncture when the water and air are both in the 40's, but I'll take the warmer version any day!

10. Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
    human physiology 101 - when the body starts to lose core temp, it begins restricting blood vessels/blood flow to the extremities to conserve heat for the core, why our fingers don't work when we're feeling the cold all the way into our core . As long as the core remains warm, it continues to provide full circulation to the extremities. So by heating the core, the vest insures maximum circulation to hands and feet= will keep them as warm as the rubber they are wearing can.