The truth about surfmats?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Dec 11, 2016.

1. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Ok, about speed being real or perceived I am convinced that a mat is the fastest surf vehicle. You will probably go faster in a 10' rhino chaser on a 20' wave but it is because of the wave. Now on a head high wave, any finless vehicle will go faster than one without fins granted you aren't dragging any body part in the water. The less friction stopping you the faster you will go. You can pump a shortboard up and down and develop great speed and pop an air but for pure down the line speed a mat will be the fastest. Maybe a paipo will be faster but I don't have enough experience on those to comment. Now, the only way to verify what I am saying is to dedicate some time to become skilled in mat surfing and then to see for yourselves. I can make sections on a mat that I can't make on any other surf craft. Reduced friction and free displacement plus you can manipulate rail, planning area and rocker to maximize the use of the waves energy...

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    So you say. Physics is physics. I read this , and it says: "mats are fast , not just perceived as fast ...because I feel like they are fast. In particular I think when I surf them I make sections I THINK I wouldn't have made on a different craft."

Which is the same thing as : perception.

3. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Arr you experienced in a mat?

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  4. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Is this a deposition?

5. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    ...never mind... surf on... by the way I also love to surf my Jim Phillips pig and am a fan of your blog... lets just agree to disagree... faster isn't always better, especially when drinking good beer and when nose riding... happy holidays!

6. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Enjoy !!!

7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    To quote the moto of an old bar in Boulder that I used to enjoy but no longer exists by the name of The Broken Drum, where you could go in at 7am, you could smoke, didn't have ferns, and would serve quart bottles of Coors as a bar drink, "you can't beat a broken drum". You have beaten the speed drum a few too many beats, find another theme and ride what you enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  8. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    I agree, you have.

9. matsurfer

matsurfer Active Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Oh, the things you see at a mat meet.

Attached Files:

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    The Broken Drum no longer exists as a final concession to big money development in Colorado. Quoting Joni Mitchell, "they tore down paradise and put up a parking lot". The Broken Drum stood as stark defiance to the "fern bar" Yuppie movement of the 80's. Now the parking lot sports a stylish brick facade, 4 levels, pay by the hour; East Pearl Street, Boulder, Colorado. http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_17532357. Tom's Bar referenced in the story was indeed the last of the true bars in boulder and famous for their hamburgers, holding forth in a former funeral parlor and embalming studio. New management added windows, which killed the ambiance and eventually surrendered to development.

All that being said, there is still a lesson to be learned from the phrase "beating a broken drum" that might be applied here.

And I hit the only place in Oceanside yesterday that wasn't overwhelmed with proud new owners of Christmas wetsuits and/or surfboards with my mat and was rewarded with a couple of clean faces that the hoards and surf schools didn't ruin.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    NoseRideTheWhip, chris a and Justino like this.