The truth about surfmats?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Dec 11, 2016.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    there is a small but pretty dedicated group of mat surfers around the world, just borrow one and get out and try it. Best if you can go with someone already familiar with them, and make sure you have a pair of fins that will give you good drive. You need a good kick and don't try to ride the foam ball. As has been said, if you have a point break available that is best, but don't let a beach break stop you. If you body surf then this will translate well. I like to think of mat surfing as body surfing on steroids, a lot of similarities but there is really nothing quite like it in my experience.

2. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    yes they are that fun. they do take some time to figure out. a lot of people since they are prone riders want to ride a mat as one might approach a bodyboard, this isn't always best. i've taken mats out on fantastic overhead, racy, hollow days and poor days chunky, southwind days and had fun either way. if you get one reach out to others you know riding them already for a fun session together and ask for pointers. figuring a mat out alone can take months, longer maybe, while an experienced rider can get you figured out in a session.

3. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    Quote from an interview with the late Scott Reeder. If you mat you'll get it - "One of the subtle pleasures of matting is kicking out to a somber, silent lineup — you know, a pack of lone wolves — and letting the air hiss out of your mat."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Don, that quote reminds me of an exchange I once heard on the radio a LONG time ago. The exchange between the listener and host was in reference to the listener being frustrated with the president of the United States at the time the listener: "i say f-ck the president, i say let anarchy reign!" then the radio show host said: "what an idea! anarchy! let anarchy reign! and you be the president ?" the listener responded "yeah!" then the radio host said "sounds good , except there is no president when anarchy exist." then the radio host hung up on the listener.

5. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    Only relationship to my post I can determine is that we both use quote marks. Carry on.

matsurfer likes this.
  6. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    think theres more to it. i think my lack of understanding the Reeder quote and you not understanding my aforementioned radio host / listener exchange has something in common. it's like we have a common lack of understanding the stuff that is in the quotes. right?

7. nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
    No, I don't think so. I understand the exchange and the irony, it's just that it has nothing to do with my post or the topic. As I said "If you mat you'll get it"

Just got back from a pretty great mat session in small but clean surf north side of Oside pier with a couple of body surfing buddies. I had more fun than the surfers I saw.

8. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Stoked you had a blast Don! However, how can you determine who was having more fun?

That was my point with the radio exchange thing. No Irony or sarcasm intended. Rather, observations. Mat surfing ,cool. Board surfing, cool. Not surfing, cool.