The price of “overeagerness”

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Salinity, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    While my thoughts are with those to the south who are going to be truly affected by Florence, those of us up north are eagerly anticipating the long period energy making its arrival, supposedly later today. In my pre-swell excitement, I wanted to get out before work to try out a funky asym I recently picked up. Surf was crappy windblown slop, but it warmed up to 70 deg overnight, so what the heck...

Fast forward to the first wave, it jacked up a bit and pitched me. I was underwater for an unusually long time and when I came back up WHAM! fin to the top of the head. Lots of blood right away and immediately I knew a trip to a professional was eminent.

So I sit waiting for a tetanus shot after 4 stitches and the inevitable “don’t get it wet for a week +” with thoughts of coating it with Vaseline, wearing a swim cap and a hood going through my head. But I’ll likely be a spectator during what is looking like a great run of surf - a run I’ve spent most waking moments checking, refreshing buoys, mapping out a plan etc. There will be more surf, some will say, but that’s little solace after all the mental investment and the forecast. But I suppose there’s a lesson here somewhere.

Damned impatience...

2. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry to hear that you got tagged. You aren't alone, I can't surf in the pretty good surf we have here. Have to prepare for the flood.

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Heal up and stay “overeager”! It’s what keeps us young.

4. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Yikes - my self-inflicted “situation” certainly pales in comparison to what you and others may have to deal with. Certainly offers me a bit of perspective- thanks for that. I have no idea what one could do/offer remotely, but if there’s anything aside from well-wishes us to the north can offer, please reach out (I installed a simple Home Depot-bucket sump installation in our house during a bad spring storm that caused some minor basement flooding - that’s about the extent of my flood mitigation experience).

I guess I should have listened to my gut instincts that were saying just go to work & check it later. Oh, and staples - not stitches...

Attached Files:

5. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks, we should be OK. We are on a slab. I have taken a bunch of stuff to the second floor. We have put everything else up over 12". Hope that that will be high enough if the first floor floods. The surfboard collection will have to fend for itself.

6. weberrider

weberrider Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Tony's head wound 2 Nov 2003.JPG

At least they didn't have to shave my head

DJR likes this.
  7. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Oof - I suppose there’s always a sliver of silver lining somewhere (less hair follicles = decreased risk of infection?). I’m having some ear troubles lately (a failed tympanoplasty left me with a hole in my eardrum that, if not properly and thoroughly plugged, allows water into my middle ear), so maybe a little break from the water will have some benefit. But...

222E6D6E-1E70-4CE3-B2C8-EA162B560D36.jpeg

Assuming that’s not recent, how long did it take to heal up?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. weberrider

weberrider Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Staples were removed at 10 days and I surfed the next morning.
    Staples coming out hurt worse than going in

9. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Staples are no fun. And taking them out is just weird

Heal up...

There will be waves another day...

Try to enjoy getting stoked seeing other guys get good rides. I know it's a bummer

10. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Thanks - I've come to terms with the minor deal I've been dealt. Focusing on trying to get the rest of my self centered (eating better, yoga, stretching, etc.) - I was probably putting too much stock in what this run of swell would "do" for me, as I've been somewhat out of sorts lately, and have been attributing that somewhat to the latest flat spell and losing what little rhythm I felt I had. "Not being stupid" and trying to surf before I probably should is actually making me feel a bit more in control in some weird way and, yes, I am super stoked for those getting good waves (been checking the share your stoke thread daily).

Now I'm just hoping Flo eases up on those to the south. Plus my wife wants to visit her Aunt in Manasquan next weekend (right after the staples come out).