The Price is Right

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Gill, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Greetings Fellows from the beautiful beaches of NJ

Sorry its has been so long, I have been very busy with my family, which is a great thing, just haven’t been posting as much... but still lurking!

So- my question: how much $ would you list/expect for the following board on CL?

I am usually very good at listing a fair price, but this one has me stumped for 2 reasons: 1. It’s a pop out and 2. It has been painted.

I’m still considering selling it, I don’t surf it often enough and would like some extra $ for a new board. If the board only fetches 100, I may has well hold onto it since I do like riding it on certain days. I just have other boards I like better.

Anyways, it’s an early 60’s Malibu. I painted the board since the bottom was ugly from years left in the sun. I used oil based enamel and a similar process to painting a car, not a rattle can. so the paint is thick and nice.

It also has an odd bulge on the rail, but I can never tell it’s hindering anything when riding.

Anyways, I would be interested in your thoughts! Thanks!

D01716BD-8478-4921-AA3E-0C19F1D81B67.jpeg F4CBCE84-CAB9-46B6-A0CD-EE2A0CA18BE1.jpeg B95C3AC8-910A-4BF5-BE6A-5DC63A02A721.jpeg E4B0A93C-A76B-428E-9CA2-564A8DD7C901.jpeg CE82A15C-4D79-43EC-B15C-431BBFC92CA3.jpeg

2. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Just my 2 cents

A painted popout doesn't have too much value. If you need to sell, price for $250ish and be ready to come down to $200. If it would be "nice to sell", put up for $350 and take $300. This sale may take some time, unless you find someone that wants an old board and doesn't really know what they are looking at. After you get asked a million questions from the craigslist crew, you will probably just keep it. Be ready to estimate the volume. It's all the rage with kids these days.

Bubble on the rail is a delam and/or foam expansion and the rail will most likely split if left in the sun. My buddy used to love riding popouts back in the day and left his favorite on in the sun and it split down both rails. The foam in popouts likes to expand in the heat. The fiberglass is typically a mat and not a weave so it is weaker.

Best of luck.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. HerbB

HerbB Active Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    I think NJLB outlines some good pricing. I’d think you could get 200, 250. But, I’d list it higher as you can always come down.

Someone will have an interest - a good sport ambassador piece, hanging at a bar, den, restaurant.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I've found that location and timing are really essential for these types of boards. In France, you'd probably get 500 for it, in San Diego, where vintage boards are still relatively accessible, much less. Unless someone just digs it on sight and then there you go.

Still, it presents pretty well, is a cool piece of surf culture, and should be worth - as NJ Longboarder said - between a couple and three hundred in my opinion.

DJR likes this.
  5. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the thoughts and suggestions... close to what my initial thoughts were!

I may surf if one last time before posting it on CL... it’s been at least a year. Maybe I will decide it’s still a fun board to keep around, idk. But there is another board I have been eyeing up on CL lol

Anyways, I’m pretty sure the bulge is due to heat. It’s not delam, but the foam expanded under... I didn’t know that it was a normal occurrence with pop outs in the sun/heat... interesting story about your friend NJ longboarder. Thanks for the info!

6. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016