The Perpetual Flothru

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by sonOsea, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Yeah, perfect timing! Waves look fun today and potentially through the weekend. Enjoy!

2. DKNJ

DKNJ Active Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    hansen1.jpg hansen3.jpg hansen2.jpg The Flo thru definitely gave my vintage 50/50 a whole different feel. Waist to chest textured wave this weekend. Board had more speed to get around crumbling sections & loosened up from tail Lot o fun... thanks to all who pass this along & share the stoke.

deemce, miscreant and Chilly Willy like this.
  3. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Rad!!

DKNJ likes this.
  4. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Could I add a RI/southern New England request for this fins travel?
    I’d be very interested to try it and happy to help guides it’s journey to other local jammers.

5. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Any updated ride reports with this fin? I’ve changed a few boards in my quiver the past few months and each time I’m out I’ve found myself wondering about this thing.

6. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I currently have the Flothru, just got it it time for a flat spell and there is a small swell this weekend but I work weekends. The fin is in my JP Van Velzer pig and I plan on ridding it Monday for the first time. I will be reporting on the fin and it should be a good test as I think this was first ridden in a Bing pig which is close to a Phillips pig. I will keep the fin another couple of weeks and pass it on to SharkB8 and then to Basenji1703, both local VA Beach surfers. Basenji can then pass it on to the next person

Basenji703 and Chilly Willy like this.
  7. Tlri

Tlri Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Good luck with that fin!
    Intrigued to hear any feedback. Fun reading the reviews here and back on some of the older blogs where it’s discussed.
    Hope the swell fills in with these Atlantic systems floating around

8. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ok then. Gearnut asked for it after me.

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Finally there is storm activity brewing off the coast of Africa. The Atlantic is waking up! Hoping the Virginia crew can put the fin to use.

10. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I have used the fin one day in my JP Pig, a small(1-2') clean day, fun but very mushy. I had been using a 10.5" volan Greenough 4A in the pig. I have tried several fins before settling on the 4A. I tried 2 D fins; A True Ames and a Dingpatch. The D fins gave the board better stability while in trim or on the nose but not as loose feeling on turns and cutbacks. So my hope with the Flothru was good trim and better turning compared to a regular D fin. This it pretty much did and I liked the fin but did not to the point of wanting to rush out and get one. The very next day I rode the pig with the 4A back in the board in the same surf conditions and preferred the feel of the 4A to the Flothru. The 4A does better turns and cutbacks and has a looser feel and trims well enough, a pig will never be a nose rider and the only benefit I feel with any D fin is better stability in trim and while on the nose. So I prefer a overall looser board with a 4A to slightly better trim but stiffer ride of any D fin. So in short; this is an improvement over a regular D fin but not as good as a raked style modern fin like a 4A, this is my option only and I plan to try the fin in bigger surf before passing it on. As for my bonafides; surfing 53 years and started out on D fin boards in 1965.

first board a Velzy pig with a large wood D fin right on the tail. me and my brother i am in the background, 1965

dfins.jpg

Chilly Willy and longhairhippie like this.