The great mid length design challenge.....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jory, Sep 19, 2016.

1. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Long story but my local shaper will owe me a bartered board over the winter. I've got a pretty stocked quiver so I don't "need" anything but obviously I WANT something.
    One of my local waves is great on a log when it's small (kinda San o like) and when it's bigger (head high plus) it's super fun on a fish or my 6'10 but since so many of the locals ride progressive longboards it's often hard to get waves as on a short board you have to sit so far inside.
    I'm toying with the idea of a 7'8 to 8' mid length a bit like this. Kind of a mini Geiger I guess?
    [​IMG]

That one is 8'x22x2 3/4
    Single fin, flat rocker. Should paddle in like a longboard and therefore get waves off the whippersnappers but turn niceLy without the redundant progressive longboard nose.
    I'd welcome your experience and thoughts on the template/bottom shape.
    By the way, I'm 5'7 and 145 and I don't want a hull (again at the moment!)

2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    That looks nice. I think you are on the right track. My .02.

3. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    imo make it ~1" narrow and a pintail and it can serve double duty as a semi gun for when its macking. see if you can borrow something that length to get a sense of what you are going to be working with. for the mini glider effect I would suggest 8'8 or better

4. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I'm pretty much your exact height and weight, have a 7'8" with very similar outline, rounded pin, quad, love it. Best for me in fast beachbreak, plenty of paddle (and I'm old), gets into everything, more forgiving (easier) on the drop for me than a longboard. One statement that's always stuck in my craw is "midlengths don't do anything well." There are times/conditions when they not only do everything well but I wouldn't want anything else.

Latte likes this.
  5. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As usual I'm on a design discovery journey that no one else locally has taken so I'm slightly flying blind (although the board in the pic is a Nineplus shaped by Max Dexter that's in their shop so I have fondled it.

Bottom on that one is slight roll to flat to subtle v. I'd be tempted to add some concave in the vee (spiral vee) for speed generation

I'm torn on the length, obviously I'm not going to be duck diving it even at 7'8 and the spot I'm thinking of is a long paddle out but it's a beach break so being able to change direction is definitely a requirement.

Thanks for the input so far!

6. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Ps any pics poidog?

7. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    I just got an 8'2" evolution-style singlefin pintail from Matt Garbutt for a versatile midlength/semigun-ish type board.

He might have a pic if you PM him. I don't and it is raining...

8. shadydave

shadydave Active Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    strez wrote:
    This one.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

9. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
  10. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    not that I have any particular design expertise, but I think the following would be relevant:

is there a channel where you surf?

does the wave get hollower at size or is it still soft?