The Great Hull Discussion

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Freddibetts, Sep 27, 2017.

1. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I can't surf worth doodoo...but there's no feeling like those pinched rails slicing through the face of a wave...indescribable

zippy, Freddibetts and sonOsea like this.
  2. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Nobody mentioning mini-simmons yet?

3. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
  4. Nilus

Nilus Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Love that video. I actually took my 6'8 Liddle GLPB to Rincon a couple days ago for the first time since last winter and caught one magic callbox wave that looked very similar to some of those. I have to say what has been said lots of times before ... it probably doesn't look all that exciting to most people watching, but flying down the line on a hull at a long lined-up point might be one of the most thrilling feelings you can have surfing.

deemce, Stringer and hankster like this.
  5. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
  6. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Kinda like riding a less functional fish. I’ve been down the displacement hull rabbit hole. Learned some things about the front half of surfboards. Won’t be going down that path again tho. I think a good fish is the fastest board. I prefer fins on the rail (twin or quad) vs one in the middle (single or three fins) for when I really want to fly.

7. Stringer

Stringer Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Jimmy Gamboa in One California Day. To get right to the Liddle Hull part play from 4:43 on.

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Wilderness Surfboard in Santa Barbra, started by Greenough and Michael Cundith in the 60's, were all about the hull, their shorter boards featuring platter outlines, S foils and high aspect ratio Greenough fins..in the late 60's, early 70's there was a small fleet of them in the Rincon lineup, speeding down the line under the feet of some very capable flowmasters..that board in the middle showing the foil and fin pretty much says it all..
    after Greenough headed over to Oz, hulls quickly grew in popularity as his design concepts cross pollinated..the surfing of Michael Peterson at his peak pretty much showcasing the hull at it's best.
    [​IMG]

9. Human

Human Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside