The Great Hull Discussion

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Freddibetts, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Im new to the world of hulls and its been mindblowing for me - looking to thoroughly expand my brain cells on this topic and what better place than here to soak it in.

I would love for anyone and everyone with experiences or knowledge to share and discuss likes dislikes boards , styles , full hulls , modified hulls etc...

Heres a bunch of shapers that i know of whom are known for their hull designs. So far my knoweledge is limited to the fineline hotgen that ive been riding in nj beachbreak , But its a knifey speed machine section maker. And throwing in that super large 11.5 flexfin (in my mind) gave the board much more drive and stability especially on this crazy hurricane run we have been having.

Liddles
    Finelines
    Spencer Kellogg
    Andreinis
    Klaus Jones
    Ryan Lovelace
    Wilderness
    Scott Anderson
    Dennis Ryder

2. jbb

jbb Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Try using the search function. "Hulls" returned 199 results just in this forum. The topic and most of those shapers have been debated disected and deconstructed from top to bottom here.

3. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    My hull experience is with Liddles, Anderson Bojorquez and a few sessions on a Fineline hull. As you said, hulls are fast. The Bojorquez is fast, but maybe a half gear slower than a Liddle Pointbreaker. But the Bojorquez turns easier than the Liddle, probably because the widepoint is further back. The Liddle has an S deck, with some foam in it. The Bojorquez lacks the S deck, but has super pinched rails which I thought helped in ease of turning. My Fineline hull seems very similar to the Liddle Pointbreaker. I ride hulls frontside in lined up pointbreaks. If I'm going backside or riding short beachbreak waves, I ride something else. If you can surf a single fin, you can surf a hull. I mostly ride hulls and heavy logs. Heavy logs, stomp on the tail and do pivot turns. Hulls, lean forward and drive off your front foot. The question for all, if flat bottom boards with hard edges are supposed to shed water and go fast, why does a round bottom board go so fast?

Stringer and McQuad like this.
  4. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Went through 4-5 pages on the search. Bits and peices through diff discussions. Trying to centralize info and also just wanted to start a new discussion

5. aloha73

aloha73 Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Liddles all the way! Find one that Greg shaped himself if you can. All others are derivative. It won't turn like your other boards but then again it's not meant to. Turn it on its rails from the middle if you need to. The flex fin you have in it will snap you nicely back into the wave. Best feeling ever when you hit that speed spot. Wet sand the bottom and it goes faster. Fin placement will give you different feels but when you dial it in you'll be in heaven.

6. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom

that's a Klaus jones I believe. I think hulls are more about the experience for the user than the experience for the viewer. They can kinda look weird to the observer but feel amazing to surf. Nothing else has quite the same feeling to bottom turn then high line. They work in lined up beachbreak but they need a wall to race, true hull shapes are hard to cutback to fit in shorter waves

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Good link, @jbb. I thought this was interesting:
    http://displacementia.blogspot.com/2017/08/nat-young-hulloutline-relationship.html

I was kind of wondering what the thought was with the wide point forward on these boards. So, if I'm reading this right, the function of the bigger nose gives more area for the water to push against, in turn generating more drive while turning? Is this why hull fins are usually small-ish (in terms of surface area) and placed farther up -- because it relies more on the contours of the nose and maybe a little less on the fin?

8. Nilus

Nilus Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I have a 6'8 Liddle pointbreaker that Greg shaped me right before he retired and I only ride it at lined up right points. It isn't the best paddler and it can be a bit tricky to dial in, but the feeling of springing off the bottom and getting into trim is amazing. It can make a way more aggressive turn -- and project around the oncoming section way more -- than you might expect.

I had one wave at Rincon last year where I really felt the whole experience culminate. It was a 5 foot runner in the cove and the board matched the wave's speed and then just hung there right in the zone. Felt almost like I was levitating or noseriding but going mach 1. I heard humming coming from the board as it flew toward the highway. (It wasn't a whistle, and I don't believe it was the fin because there are no knicks or imperfections.) That one has stuck with me all year.

Separately, I recently got a McVee from Marc. It's hull in the front with foiled rails and then vee to flat out the back. Even putting aside the fact that it's an extra 16" long, it's much easier to ride. Slippery fun. From what I've seen, the same is true of his Vaqueros.

9. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    Mandala does hulls, too.

I've had a Liddle and now a Hot Gen from Hilbers. I was fortunate to find the Liddle on the used rack at a local shop. It was the most extreme version: Point Breaker and it was so FAST front side. Backside was trickier, but fun to figure out. I traded it for the Hot Gen, which I really like and is also very fast.