The conspiracy against a true genius.

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SMUKES, Mar 10, 2010.

1. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    http://mollusksurfshop.com/2010/02/skip-school-life-lessons-with-mr-frye/

2. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Ladies and gentlemen......... Mr. Roy Stewart.

This mindless name dropping ramble of Frye's does not qualify as a 'life lesson'. It's just an affirmation of the Californian old boy buddy network which has had a stranglehold on the surfing for the past 60 years. In the video Frye appears to struggle to remember the obligatory list of names in his area of the surftech 'shaper's tree', but eventually manages to recall a few of them. Calling this moronic ramble a 'life lesson' is an insult to surfers, and publishing it as such is typical of the arrogance and complacency of the surf industry cartel. Of course the majority of the gullible surfing public accept this sort of dribble without complaint, as they have all sold their minds and souls for places, however lowly and ingominious they are, as the bottom feeding consumers of the toxic surf industry hierarchy.

The surftech shaper's tree was invented in order to propagate the myth that all surfboard shaping knowledge has been passed down from mentor to student, and to establish a list of all supposedly legitimate shapers which is controlled by the Californian old boy network.

It's a fascist regime which allows no dissent or discord, with a carefully sanitised corporate facade designed to keep the consumer unaware that the 'variety' in their menu is all just the same potato served different ways.

As part 2 of this series will show, there's really nothing intelligent behind the mask. In reality there's an abysmal lack of intelligence and hydrodynamic knowledge, married to a tired and worn out decree of what surfing is supposed to be and how one is supposed to feel about it.

3. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Roy, this guy, Skip Frye, is a really nice guy that never has a bad thing to say about anyone and truth be told, Skip would love what your doing with the wood and stuff. To call some old guy a moron and so on is just fucked up. Your a spineless little pussy as well. You know damn well that given the opportunity to say this kind of thing to his face, you would shrink back and not make eye contact, at best you would ask him to sign your hat.

4. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Love Skip. I never get tired of seeing him lay down some lines.

The video though was 77% production value and 22% Skip. I'd like more Skip. Less Mollusk.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
  6. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    http://mollusksurfshop.com/2010/02/skip-school-life-lessons-with-mr-frye-2/
    SUNDAY, 21 FEBRUARY 2010
    A quick Rant about fin drag, Skip Frye, industry icons with clay feet, and clay for brains !

Since the rediscovery of the alaia board it has been assumed throughout the surfing world that finless boards are faster than finned boards and that less fin equals more speed. This assumption has arrived without evidence or even a theoretical basis.

Recently Skip Frye supposedly 'proved' his point that less fin is faster in an interview by stating that he heard that Richard Kenvin had been " going faster and making sections that no one elese could make" on a finless board at Oceanside. This is typical of the custard for brains moronic bilgewater that comes out of the mouths of surf industry 'legends'. Looking at this video it's full of half formed and badly formed ideas, conclusions which don't follow from the premises, or which have no premise, and the usual endless name dropping which is a surf industry subsitute for logical thought. It's like a smorgasbord of stupidity:

I have to give credit where it's due though, and admit that our 12 foot Future Primitive design was influenced by Skip Frye. . . . . we spoke to Paul Joske back in 1995 about a 12 footer which he produced from Skip Frye specifications, Paul said that the board was too flat, wouldn't turn, spun out when in the curl, and that the tail was too wide. He was right of course and we took the information into account when making the first FP 12

Here's the FP 12 with it's massive fin and healthy rocker. .. . it's safe to say that no one in the surfing world apart from ourselves understands how this design works

7. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    WEDNESDAY, 10 MARCH 2010
    'Original Sim' a 5'6" parallel profile Simmons inspired wooden surfboard
    The 'Original Sim' internal frame panel takes shape. The parallel profile is a departure from the Simmons 'S' deck, and will give a lower centre of gravity and better flex. Other changes from the Simmons type are the constant rail section and hollow framed construction

Because it is a three panel board the frames need vent holes

POSTED BY OLOSURFER.COM AT 15:05 0 COMMENTS
    LABELS: ORIGINAL SIM, SIMMONS INSPIRED TWIN FIN

These boards are so wrong ... I think I'll build one ;)

8. ilparadosso

ilparadosso New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    USA California
    "I don't know....I haven't got it down all the way.... I try to learn as I go."

"If you ever think you stop learning...then it's over..."

Seems like pretty good life lessons from Skip Frye.

Also, he seems to be in line with Roy's designs, ie.

Lots of rocker = more fin
    Less rocker = less fin

so... I don't know why the vitriolic attack and juvenile name calling on someone he doesn't know.

9. Steiny

Steiny New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    USA California
    Skip is one of the most decent people I have ever met. So kind and pleasant, not a bad thing to say about anybody. He surfs beautifully and his boards are the best I have experienced.

10. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    the industry allows a whole lot more dissent and discord than roy does. disagree with roy at your own risk. at least if I diagree with Skip Frye, he'd have an honest discussion about it rather than belittling.