That’s a 1st for me

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by T-Bone, Jul 27, 2018.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

Got down to a beach in Monmouth County yesterday, and took the board and walked down by the water to get in. A lifeguard walks over and tells me I can’t head out, so I laugh, and he points to the Police & Beach Patrol (bosses) heading our way. They are closing the beach, and removing everyone from the sand, including people just getting sun. Due to the rough surf from our recent weather, they were roping off the beach and patrolling it to keep people away from the water after 5pm. Have never seen or heard of anything like it (except after Sandy, which was understandable for obvious reasons). WTF.

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Can’t possibly be legal.

3. shapewright

shapewright Active Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    Summer of '66 hurricane Faith hanging well offshore.
    12th Ave. Belmar jetty north side 10-12 feet with clean ups much bigger.
    To get out was hug the jetty and hold back near the tip, boulders were being knocked out of the tip.
    When it looked like the last wave of the set had passed, scramble to get past the hundred feet of oh shit zone.
    There were only a handful that made it and were capable, then the life guards and police showed up, bull horns in hands ordering us to shore.
    There were no hero moves past the drop and wall, if you went any farther there was no paddling ack out and you would be pushed to the shore and into their hands.
    This was the best and biggest surf I had seen since moving from Hawaii and I wasn't going to miss this opportunity.
    They stayed waiting for us, it was getting late, we weren't going away in cuffs. Hunkering down on the outside until dark we paddled north to 8th Ave., waited for a big set and scrambled behind it to the inside and got to shore unseen.
    We buried our boards under the boardwalk and slipped across Ocean Ave., the police grilled the onlookers who were the surfers who wouldn't come in, no rats in that bunch.
    The Belmar 7 insurrection went unsolved

4. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    One of the many, "only in NJ" stories that have the better informed shaking their heads in disbelief.

Chilly Willy, Gallery and T-Bone like this.
  5. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

Yeah, I was shocked, and kind of to myself realized that going in wouldn't be the issue, it would be exiting the water which would present a problem with them. Figured it wasn't worth the hassle, and drove a few mins. into the next town and surfed there.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  6. surflax

surflax Active Member

Mar 11, 2007
    USA Pennsylvania
    WOW!! I was in MoCo yesterday and there were a few rolling in but it was relatively tame. The hype & attention that weather and storms get these days is unreal; chicken little most of the time...

7. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Agree 100%. Kinda crazy how two kids get bit by a shark and the lead for every news outlet is SHARK ATTACK. Calm the eff down. If I see another story regarding rip currents on the news, I'm going to vomit. There's a fine line between being aware and creating a climate of fear.

sightpoint likes this.
  8. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Last year a lot of towns around here caught a lot of heat from people after the media hyped a few drowning. Specifically one that occurred in Belmar with 2 young girls. It was sad, I'm not down playing that. (But also, I don't even remember there being a swell for that incident, and it was right after school hours) A lot of people where in outrage demanding that guards be on beaches at all hours... oddly enough a lot of these people where northerners forgetting that it's actually our towns taxes that have to pay for all that...

Anyways, I'm taking a wild guess that it's connected to all this. All these people get into an outrage when they should just heed to the signs that say swim at your own risk and wait to swim until lifeguards are on... oh wait- they don't want to pay for beach badges lol

BTW- great story from 65! Would love to hear more stories like that!!!

9. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
  10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    You are seeing the public side of something that is happening that is greatly curtailing our traditional water operations. Traditional ground based police department thinking taking over harbor police/life guarding. It is all about risk management, and is driven by attorneys, bureaucrats, and command staff that have no background in water based operations. If it looks like someone could possibly be hurt, stop it. Can't describe the frustration from the professional side of this. It won't get better as long as those people are making policy.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.