Tell me all about MAGIC MODELS

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Nathan Explosion, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Nathan Explosion

Nathan Explosion New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Glad to join the forum, lurked for a while but for my first post wanted to get some learned feedback on the vaunted Magic Model shape. You know the ones. I'm pretty much down to Mitsven or Mabile. I surf all over San Diego so need a versatile stick, something in the 8'6"-9'0" range, good paddle power, that can cruise on smaller junky days but also be my trusted go-to in winter time when it gets overhead.

For those who have ridden/owned one or both, what do you think? Any major differences between the two? Outline seems pretty similar, if anything maybe Bob's tend to "pop" more from an aesthetic point of view, while Larmo's are simpler and more muted tints and glosses. Maybe just a difference in the lams and glassing.

Are they really as versatile as advertised? Let me hear where you surf yours and how you like 'em, longer, shorter, rockers, rails, fin setups and everything else!

2. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    They are prettymuch the same but Lary may have some more volume.Bobs may run a little more but not by much. At that size go 2+1, they surf more from the front and will be all kinds of fun this winter. Good luck and welcome.

3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    You want a funboard? :D

4. Nathan Explosion

Jul 20, 2014
  5. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
    I have this one will sell it for $750
    8'3"

Attached files
    [​IMG]

6. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
  7. jbb

jbb Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    sightpoint wrote:
    Looks like a mitsven logo on the stringer. I always wonder why so many people are interested in the Serena model. As I understand it, it is a pin tail Vaquero that was developed primarily for Nor Cal winter surf. A regular ol' Vaquero should be just as amazing....

8. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    i have an 8' mitsven Magic mike, can be either quad or thruster. have only ridden it as a quad so far and i love it. plenty of float for my 210lb, fast and turns great. need to try it as a thruster soon just to see how it feels

i can't remember if it was Bob M. or Malcom C. that told me the desired curve or outline of a magic diminished above 8'6 or so.

9. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Was prob bob. And yes thats a mitsven. A whole different feel than a sirena or Vac. Longer turning arc being the most notable

10. Nathan Explosion

Jul 20, 2014
    Which has the longer turning arc smukes, the mitsven or the andreini?

I talked to Marc about a vaquero in that same range, but current turnaround time is 3.5 months!!